Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Minoush went to the vets today

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by MaineCoonMommy, Apr 1, 2011.

1. MaineCoonMommy

MaineCoonMommy PetForums Member

He got weighed in at 2.6 kilos and got his worming tablet for this month and the one for next month. We discussed the 'big snip' which she said could be done from 5 months. Thinking I may wait to he's 6 months just to be safe lol. And he got his claws trimmed back, but felt a bit sorry for him as he was struggling to climb up his cat tree just now. I'm sure he's not impressed :glare: LOL

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Glad to hear his visit to the vet went well. If he's a good size I wouldn't hang around in getting him snipped - he may start to spray :(
    Did the vet show you how to clip his nails so that you can do it yourself next time? They grow very quickly

3. Ren

Ren PetForums Senior

I have to clip Kazuki's claws every week :glare: You're best to learn how to do it yourself I'd say. I just use human nail clippers, I have a pair of cat-specific ones but they're terrible!

4. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

Quickly isnt the word! Molly had hers done when she was spayed, 7 days later and they are back ..... was just getting used to not being scratched :)

5. MaineCoonMommy

lol Yes, I actually know how to do it myself, have done a bit when we got him and have the clippers for it but thought it would be easier to let the vet nurse do it this time as I'm always paranoid I'm gonna slip or he's gonna wiggle suddenly and I'm gonna cut too far back.

Well, it's gonna have to be six months instead of five but I've heard this is perfectly fine. If I think it'll be a problem I'll move it up :).

6. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

Isn't it normal with maine coons to leave spaying a little later as they grow/develop over a much longer time.

7. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

He's beautiful isn't he :eek: :001_wub:

He also weighs just 1kg less than my dog :lol:

Em
    xx

8. Abster21

Abster21 PetForums Junior

Just a note on claw-clipping - I recently found that swaddling one cat at a time in a nice big fluffy towel made things much easier. The cats relaxed once they were wrapped up, and it was easy to find one paw at a time so it minimised wriggling and fear of cutting in the wrong place.

9. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

MC's dont usually start spraying untill they are at least 12 months some times older, unless of course they are called Louie :rolleyes: 9 months is usually a good time :D

10. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

I agree with Dally - neutering in MCs should really be left as late as possible to allow them to grow first. If you remove the hormones from them at a young age then this can affect how they develop ie he could be quite lanky or feminine looking.

11. MaineCoonMommy

Thanks for all of your feedback. I'll try to swaddle him next time, thanks, that sounds like a good method!

I didn't realize MCs neutering should be done later, as I haven't looked up the neutoring recommendations for the specific breed-was assuming six months was the standard for all of them. So 9 months is better then?

12. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

Vets are often keen to get cats and dogs spayed/neutered ASAP for convenience reasons ie prevent unwanted litters and unwanted behaviors.

However, all animals need the hormones linked to puberty to develop. Imagine if you or any human had the hormones removed before you hit puberty - you wouldn't look like the conventional adult with the hair and lady/man bits or even develop in terms of height or stockiness, would you?

By neutering or spaying early in larger breeds or animals, it is significantly more noticeable. MCs have a larger frame that can end up looking lanky as they don't fill out in the normal way without the required hormones.

13. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

I would wait tilll then if you can they take longer to mature if ever :rolleyes: :D

14. MaineCoonMommy

Okay, will do. He doesn't have any access to outdoors and we have no other cats so accidental litters is not a worry, was just worried he'd become an unhappy and frustrated fella. But if he takes longer to mature then that's fine, I'm happy letting him develop longer. Thanks so much for the information;I really want to do the best thing for him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice