Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Minor Wound and Lethargy

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Cato'mine Tales, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Cato'mine Tales

Cato'mine Tales PetForums Newbie

Hi. My indoor/outdoor cat came in last night injured. She has what looks like a skinned strawberry spot on the outside of her knee. It looks like a wound one would get from sliding on concrete--apparently not a bite.

I didn't notice right away, because there wasn't a limp, and she jumped into my lap normally. I noticed finally when she began growling and hissing at me, I guess because I was irritating the wound that I didn't know was there.

Once I saw blood on my arm, I realized she was hurt. I figure she must have tangled with a car somehow to get that kind of scrape-looking wound. I worried, but doubt she has broken bones, because she jumped up and down from my lap, the bed, and climbed into and out of a cardboard box.

Her respiration was rapid, 50-60 bpm, but not abnormal for feeling pain and stress, I think. She takes occasional deep breaths, so I think her innards are OK, at least no broken ribs. I've seen no blood from her insides, only at the wound; so I stopped worrying so much.

The next day, she is limping and not putting as much weight on it, but I know from experience that injuries like that do stiffen up the next day. She still jumped on the bed and climbs in/out of the cardboard box. I helped her down from the bed, though, as she doesn't want to put her full weight on it. She sleeps on both sides, which also tells me that she probably has no serious internal injury or broken bone.

However, I'm worrying again because she is lethargic today, staying in the cardboard box sleeping all day, she has not eaten at all in 24 hours, and she has not asked to go outside, which is always her main goal in life. :(

She has urinated in the litter box normally, but as she hasn't eaten, she also hasn't pooped, which I want to see to make sure there is no blood.

Is her behavior normal for experiencing such a seemingly minor trauma just to her skin, and maybe bruised bone or knee joint?

2. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

Her being lethargic is definitely not normal.
    Please let he be checked by a vet! Cats are very adept in hiding her pain, even severe pain.

3. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

Definitely a trip to the vet. Everything points to some sort of internal trauma. Maybe mild but not worth taking the risk, she could be bleeding inside.
    Please let us know how she gets on.

4. Cato'mine Tales

Cato'mine Tales PetForums Newbie

Since I made the OP, I pulled her sleeper box out so I could reach her. She was receptive to attention and purred for me. She does a bit of grooming. After the stimulation, she got up and ate a bit, then actually did ask to go out. That's not happening today.

Her knee is swollen now, so it was probably run over. She is moving the leg and putting small weight on it still. I think I will take her for an x-ray tomorrow, anyway, like you both said. They may give me something to immobilize it. Anyway, I am much less worried about her insides, now.

5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Regardless of how she "appears" to you she needs to be seen by a vet to rule out any injuries.
    If she has been hit by a car she could have injuries that are not obvious although the swollen knee is enough evidence, if any was needed ,that you need to have her seen today.

lorilu likes this.
  6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Take her in today. What are you waiting for? Cats only show pain when they are deeply suffering. She is showing pain.

Cully likes this.
  7. Willow_Warren

Willow_Warren PetForums VIP

I'm with other people I think I'd be taking her to the vets today. I do hope she is ok.

Hannah

Cully likes this.
  8. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

I’d be straight down the vets with her today! You don’t know how she got the injury, she might have been knocked by a car. I hope she’s ok but she definitely needs to be examined thoroughly. Fingers crossed.

chillminx and Cully like this.
  9. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Your poor girl needs to be seen by a vet ASAP! Not tomorrow!

Soozi and Cully like this.
  10. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

It’s not wise to try and diagnose what is wrong! There could be internal injuries that you are not aware of. Please take her today. Fingers crossed it’s not a fracture to her leg and nothing untoward internally.

#10 Soozi, Oct 25, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  11. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

This is no minor injury. I hope by now you've taken her to the vets.

chillminx and Soozi like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice