Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Minimum wage goes up by 15p to £6.08 per hour from October

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by classixuk, Apr 8, 2011.

1. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

2. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Or if, it will do nothing? :)

3. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

Hmmmnnn...not sure it will do nothing GoldenShadow, but I like the way you're thinking. ;)

If you add it all up, 15p per employee = £312 per year (not counting the increase in National Insurance).

If a business employs say 3 people, that's an increase in costs of almost £1000 per year. For some small businesses, that will prevent them from taking on any more paid staff for a while.

Maybe that's part of the plan? I know that the government are planning to force JSA claimants to do unpaid placements for private businesses for upto 2 months at a time.

:confused:

4. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

SO we CAN all retire early then :lol:

5. GoldenShadow

Yes but as the article says the increase is 2.5% I think inflation was at 4.4% in Feb so its way down on that and people will be grumpy enough with this sized increase I reckon.

I think they've put it up as much as they feel they can but can't really not put it up what with the VAT increase, that was meant to cost an average family an extra £450 a year I think and then you have the shenanigans with petrol too.

Any ideas what the tax limit is going up to and what effect that will also have? Corporation tax is down 2% isn't it which will affect some.

Any idea what % of companies and what type actually pay the minimum wage? Sectors I know are usually catering with younger workers and the like that stick to the min wage...

I don't think minimum wage alterations will show a huge effect in any direction, we've got a huge amount of minor changes going on which will all vary the impact of other factors etc. They have to squeeze some how they're just trying to make it fairer to all.

So much for these 'big changes' though :rolleyes:

6. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

As far as I'm aware, the tax limit (LEL) has increased by £1000, so that should help.

You're also correct about the corporation tax...I'll be taking advantage of that. ;) I believe it goes down 1% per year for the next 2 years too. With the increase in personal allowance and the raise of the LEL for National Insurance, I'll probably draw my first £7.5K as salary and then pay the rest as dividends. I'll be better off.

Good point about them showing that they are "squeezing everyone", but I think we'll see less job creation at the lower level, which coincidentally is the level that many JSA claimants need access to in order to enter the world of work again. I can also predict jobs that were once advertised as "30 hours" becoming "28 hours". ;)

7. GoldenShadow

Ah I see where you are coming from more now. I gotta say I'm intrigued to see how this will pan out..! Tuition fees are through the roof and as you say jobs at lower levels aren't going to be created so readily I doubt, maybe as opposed to it being costly people just don't want to risk many changes? Will be interesting to see exactly what people do. They are pushing in the right direction for apprenticeships but I'm not hugely aware of lots of new apprenticeships about yet, maybe that will coincide with the uni fees in 2012..?

Its just the big squeeze really isn't it, anyone not very well off feeling it. Middle class get hit by falling into the bigger tax brackets *just* and the kids missing out on more uni funding/new EMA scheme. Everyone gets hit by the petrol increases, people on lower wages struggling more with the VAT than others, and businesses will have to foot these kind of changes but perhaps may benefit from the placements you mentioned and JSA above (whether the people being forced onto placements will add anything to that workforce may be debatable in cases..!).

I do wish they'd shake up the JSA system, some areas seem to do jack sh*t to help get people into work. One of my uncle's has been on JSA since December 2009 (or near enough) and he's had two interviews in that time. Guess who got him the interviews? Me, because I helped him do application forms. The JSA people don't even help him look for anything so at the minute he's trying to do his own gardening business on a low level but its no wonder people just sit on their arse.

What's your view on the AV voting system by the way??

8. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

I wish your uncle the best of luck, and kudos to you for helping him out! If he has any experience in sales, he could register as an agent and look for work that way. Sales agents are a massive boom time industry at the moment as companies are liking the "no results=no pay" security aspect in these difficult financial times. I'd imagine that the gardening thing will pay off towards summer if he's able to build his clientele now.

Hmmmmnn...AV system? Well, to be honest, I kind of feel like we already have a preview of what the AV system looks like with the current government. It would mean manifestos filled with good intentions, and then lots of compromising afterwards.

In my own humble opinion, the kid who comes first at the egg and spoon race deserves his medal, even if it was a photo finish. To give the medal to the second or third place runner just seems wrong.

What about you? Have I missed something that I haven't considered?

9. GoldenShadow

Trouble with my uncle is he does need a bit of a kick up the backside and being his niece its not really something I can deliver without offending and/or upsetting him. He struggles with writing and spelling so I can do the legwork and coach him through forms but he could really do with interview practice and an outsider telling him what's important and what isn't, I think being family he takes our opinion on board but its not gospel. If the JSA people were like do this do that he'd take it more seriously. He turned up the other day for an interview in jeans and a t shirt despite the fact I told him to wear a suit, its no wonder he didn't get it etc :rolleyes:

Think the gardening thing would suit him better but there is a lot of people with the same idea of late. Other uncle will give him work in winter (runs an electrician business) to tide him over when the gardening dries up. It is a shame though, he worked for the council for 18 years, resigned because people there weren't that nice, worked for my uncle for a year but then quit because he didn't want to do training at college and otherwise needed permanent supervision as he wasn't qualified. Been on JSA ever since.

That's my rant about him over, its hard trying to help whilst being related..! :laugh:

Re AV, I understand what you mean and like your analogy :D I don't like the way they do it area by area to be honest, but cannot think of a fairer way. If you add up the entire country's votes for each party its a different reflection as to the government we have in. I guess doing it area at a time prevents too radical change like the lib dems having got in (some areas are so tory or labour or lib dem only death I think will change it, I lived in Lincs and we all know about Peter Tapsell..! :eek:), but I just don't feel its a true and just way of doing it.

I probably live in a tory area now, I wouldn't even know. I don't fee like MP's really do anything for the benefit of their county and then think why do they even bother having a particular one...I'm not even 100% how the MP thing works now, 650 were in (I know 648 now :p) and they don't all represent one area, surely? I should google it :laugh:

10. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

Crikey, your uncle sounds a bit like he wants the world handed to him on a plate (hope you don't mind me saying that). It's like he deliberately scuppers his own chances at becoming wealthy.

On the voting thing...you don't need to google it. It works something like this:

There are five areas called A, B, C, D and E.

There are 3 kings...well, one is just a prince really, but we call him a king so he doesn't feel left out and so the people feel they have a choice.

King number 1 believes in good times, which means lots of parties and lots of spending.

King number 2 believes in hard work and wanting to better yourself. He believes if you do this, you can afford to pay for your own parties.

King number 3 doesn't really believe in anything, but he mumbles a few words and inspires a few kids.

Every 5 years, the people in areas A, B, C, D and E get to vote who will be King for the next 5 years.

When King A gets in, people love it. They rejoice at the parties and the good times. Eventually though, they grow tired of the partying and start to ask about things such as having a bigger house, or eating better food instead of having the parties. This worries the King as he doesn't know how to provide these types of things. After the next election, he grows angry that the people in areas A and B (40% of the population) wanted King number 2, so he passes a law that areas A and B shall now be one area called Area AB. At the next election, the people in area AB all vote for King number 2, but King number 1 says that they only represent 25% of the population since the boundary changes, and so their opinion doesn't count.

For the next 5 years, the people in area AB start sacking anyone who they employed from area C, D or E. This makes the people very miserable, because although they can still go to parties, they can't afford to 'bring a bottle'.

At the next election, the people in area AB, and C vote for King number 2, which represents 50% of the population, even with the skewed boundaries and so King Number 2 gets in. He immediately restores the boundaries to A, B, C, D and E.

Until election time, when he makes areas D and E into one area called DE. He gets re-elected with 75% of the vote! Amazing!

As for King number 3, he just moans that too much hard work and too much partying is bad for everyone, and that if he were in power, he'd swap bananas for apples and everything would be sweet.

;)

The end.

11. GoldenShadow

:lol: I do like your analogies!

Uncle needs a bit of a kick up the bum and I would love to give it but its not really fair. He live with my Nana and Papa (he's 43 they are 80 odd and neither in good health) and when he gets grumpy they bear the brunt of it. They're too nice to ever kick him out and he pays no rent, nor does my other uncle who lives there. Uncle out of work actually owes my papa a grand but can't see him paying it back.

Annoying thing is he's a really nice person and would do anything for anyone, he just seems really angry at the world and unable to see that he can change his life himself. I do think someone like him would benefit from forced placements and the like, or even if someone sat there and helped him look for jobs and find interviews, but there is only so much we can do because he wont listen to us like he would the people giving him his £60 or whatever it is each week. I thought they were meant to help them find work anyway, but in over a year he's not had any help from them. He did a health and safety thing at college off his own back and went to the two interviews I got him but I can't really be arsed to help him if he goes and flunks it like he did the last one :rolleyes:

Will have to look into what the JSA changes are to be, hoping they will be good! Part of me thinks should they not do some sort of volunteer work for their money even in an oxfam shop or animal shelter one day a week.

Roll on change, whenever it happens! I hope someone else comes into this thread, its a bit lonely and I like these discussions (and the family rants once in a while :laugh:) :D

12. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

Sounds like your Nana and Papa are too kind for their own good. Bless them.

I think the volunteer aspect would be great for JSA claimants. But then you get the lazy ones saying "only if I'm paid minimum wage". Looks like all that will be changing though thanks to King Number 2. ;)

RE: The thread...perhaps everyone's gone to ladies day? LOL. Where's Janice when you need her? She's great in threads like this!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice