Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Miniature Dachshund toilet training

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Rebbecca Simpson, Oct 18, 2020 at 12:27 AM.

1. Rebbecca Simpson

Rebbecca Simpson PetForums Newbie

Hi All, we have a 10 week old miniature dachshund, she has been with us one week and she is doing pretty well with her toilet training so far. I was just wondering from fellow mini daxi owners how long it was before they were able to go a full night without needing to go potty. We have her in a crate at night and started taking her out every 2 hours in the night but she managed every 3 last night. Would love to hear everyone's experiences! Thanks

2. Tikathecat

Tikathecat PetForums Newbie

Hi! I never took my two dachshund puppies out at night and never had any accidents (plenty during the day though!). I just took them out right before bed (around 10pm) and as soon as they woke up in the morning (around 6am, then back to bed). During the day it was every 1-2 hours while they were that young.

If she's crying in the night, it could be that she wants to be close to you, rather than needing to go to the toilet. Could you put her crate right next to the bed so you can put your hand to she can sniff it when she cries, but otherwise ignore her? Now that she's used to going to the toilet during the night I would try taking her out just once a night for a couple of weeks, and then ignoring her cries until she goes back to sleep. If she pees in her crate when you ignore her, then keep taking her out once a night until she's a bit older.

Good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice