Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Miniature Dachshund - Buying Advice Needed!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nathan1991, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Nathan1991

Nathan1991 PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    My wife and I are looking to buy a Miniature dachshund (red boy short haired)
    We have found a few breeders and are on waiting lists. We have found one which have the ‘perfect’ dog available BUT they do not have any papers and the dog is not KC registered. We know someone who bought a different breed from the same people and the dog is fine. However, no papers and no KC registration - is it too much of a risk to buy this dog? Hoping someone can help please :)

2. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

Breeding different breeds and not registered...personally I would keep well away.
    good to check and wishing you luck on your chores.

3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

When buying a dachshund puppy you need evidence that both parents are clear of PRA ( progressive Retinal Atrophy leading to blindness ) and there is no history of back problems in the pedigree. Many breeders are now having their breeding stock scanned for Intravertable Disc Disease ( IVDD)
    If you buy a Kennel Club Registered puppy you can check the pedigree of the puppy and also results of any tests.
    Probably not relevant to you if you're getting a smooth haired pup but Miniature wire-haired dachshunds can be affected by Lafora Disease, a progressive neurological condition leading to premature death and fits, this can and should be tested for in the parent dogs.
    It's definitely worth looking for a breeder who tests for these conditions. Unfortunately, due the popularity of dachshunds promoted by the media they are a favourite with puppy farmers out to make lots of cash.

LinznMilly, margy, kimthecat and 6 others like this.
  4. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

5. sighthounds

sighthounds PetForums Member

Since the breed is prone to some quite serious health problems it's important to buy a puppy with fully-tested parents and documentation.

6. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I'm afraid I would be wary of anyone producing different Breeds.

Most conscientious Breeders are passionate about breeding excellent examples of their chosen Breed.

Picklelily, Lurcherlad and Nathan1991 like this.
  7. Udon

Udon Guest

KC papers are a good way of seeing a puppy has been bred from healthy lines going back several generations.

If this can be proven without the KC papers then in my opinion that would be okay as long as all the other practices were up to par. Otherwise I’d stay clear.

Nathan1991 likes this.
  8. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I wouldn’t - WHY is the dog not KC registered? There’s not really any good reason - either the bitch had too many litters, the parents were too closely related, the stud or dam wasn’t registered themselves (again, why not?), the bitch was too old, either parent had an endorsement which meant they weren’t to be bred from, or the breeder doesn’t want to be associated with these puppies, or the dog is simply not a full pedigree - in which case the breeder shouldn’t be selling it as such.

9. Nathan1991

Thank you all so much for your responses. I think it’s reiterated to me my initial thoughts of stay away. I’m sure the right dog and breeder will be worth the wait.... thank you again

10. Udon

Udon Guest

Definitely will be worth the wait. And you can’t put a price on peace of mind. Knowing you’ve done all you can to get the best dog you could will mean you don’t need to have regret if there are any behavioural or health issues down the line.

Nathan1991 likes this.
  11. Nathan1991

Hi, we have found a puppy that we are going to view. The dad is a famous lilac dapple (Charlie Chaplin) the mum is their own pet. Both parents are PRA cord 1 clear, and have been raised in the breeders home with other dogs too. They’ve been raised on royal canine puppy food and come with KC Reg, microchip, vet check, first jab, wormed and frontlined. They’ve said that the puppy can be viewed with the mum. It is the first litter of pups. What do you think?

12. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

Don’t think lilac is a recognised colour, so is the KC a NRC? And dapples like merles have their own issues. I would look at the bigger picture what are you are wanting versus them providing.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  13. SusieRainbow

Staff Member

What colour is the pup ? If it has a 'blue' gene this can lead to alopecia, skin and other problems , avoid. See what colour mum is and ask about 'blue' genes. Blue and lilac are dilute black.Also make sure mum is not dappled as 2 dapple genes can cause all sorts of problems. Google 'double dapple '.
    Ask about IVDD screening too, it's recommended in breeding dachshunds to look for calcifiation in the spinal discs which makes the dogs much more prone to disc prolapse and possible paralysis.
    If you go on the Kennel Club site and register you can type in the names of the parents and see what tests they have had and the results. Also look at The Dachshund Breed council site which gives a lot of help and advice on buying dachshunds.
    Keep us posted, so exciting !

14. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

15. SusieRainbow

Staff Member

Having seen the 'sons' of Charlie Chaplin I don't feel the breeder is an ethical one, sounds like a BYB to me.
    Using AI doesn't sound right , with a knowledgeable stud owner it shouldn't be necessary.

16. Nathan1991

They’ve said that the mum is choc and tan. They have 2 girls as part of the litter that have blue in them but the boy we are looking to buy doesn’t? They’ve said that the dad has been tested for his back and is clear. I am just so worried about buying the wrong puppy as my wife has been wanting this breed for so long and we want to get it right!

17. Nathan1991

They’ve said that the dad was a friends dog which is why they did it?

18. sighthounds

sighthounds PetForums Member

Colours such as lilac, pink and blue & tan are all red flags. These are highly fashionable but almost always unrecognised by the kennel club. Dachshunds, French bulldogs and pugs are among the breeds to be 'targeted' by breeders in this way. Worth doing some research into this phenomena.

Go to Pets4Homes and just have a quick search of the most recent and most expensive dogs available - there are many claiming to be 'rare' colours from champion lines, right? Backyard breeders alert

19. SusieRainbow

Staff Member

Well, I'm afraid I have alarm bells ringing !
    'Rare' colours are best avoided for the reasons stated.
    Look on the Champ-dogs site, they advertise ethically bred, health tested puppies.You may have to wait a while , even go on a waiting list, but it's so worth the wait to get a healthy well bred puppy.

20. Udon

Udon Guest

£2500 for his sperm?? Not even a stud visit?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice