Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Mini Stroke?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by ambroze, Apr 13, 2011.

1. ambroze

ambroze PetForums Newbie

When I arrived home from work today I found my 4 year old oriental cat had vomited. She also did not get out of her bed to greet me which is unusal. When watching her walk she is losing balance. When sitting, she swaying slightly and her head is tilted and her right eye is semi closed. Yesterday she had a swelling on her mouth which has now reduced, and I put that down to her fighting wih her sister. Now I'm wondering if it's related or worried if it may be a mini stroke? Should I try and get an emergency appointment with the vet or monitor her? She's eating fine and purrs when comforted and is also alert when called. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

Personally I would call the vet straight away. Even if they only give advice over the phone, you need to talk to a professional. Good luck.

3. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

^^^^^^ This. Good luck and let us know how it went at the vets.

4. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Definitely a vet visit NOW. Given her age, it's unlikely but still possible to be a stroke but the quicker you get her seen to the better because left untreated she will only deteriorate. Could well be an (middle) ear infection which can be very painful but has a good response to antibiotics.

Good luck with visit and let us know how you get on!

5. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Are you going to take her to the vets tonight? Better safe than sorry....

6. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

I hope so, because it doesn't sound good

7. ambroze

ambroze PetForums Newbie

Took her to see the emergency vet, he doesn't think its a stroke and he found nothing wrong with her eyes, ears or temp. He thinks it may be an alergic reaction to somthing from the garden or else shes had a bang on the head thats made her woozy. Gave her antihistamines and told us to watch her. She's too young for it to be a small stroke, but the symptoms are so similar I worried. Glad it's nothing serious. Thanks for your advice folks.

8. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Gosh I hope that when I have an allergic reaction to something in the garden I don't have those symptoms: loss of balance, swaying, droopy eyes. Sounds odd.

9. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

An allergy??? This doesn't sound right to me at all! And most certainly a suspected bump on the head with those symptoms would warrant more investigation. How is your cat this morning?

I would still get her checked right away with your usual vet even if symptoms clear up.. for now! Loss of balance is quite serious.........

10. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

LOL Hobbs, so do we! Probably best to remain indoors for now.....just in case!! :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice