Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

minging hamster

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by xxxskittlesxxx, Feb 18, 2008.

1. xxxskittlesxxx

xxxskittlesxxx PetForums Newbie

:( i have noticed my hamster was dying when i got home sunday night yesterday! but it wasent till like 5 minits ago that i realised he has loads and loads and loads of tiney tiney white bugs all over his testicle area and his tail and his mouth! i hate to see him suffer and its too late to go to the vet as it is 9 oclock at night andthey are closed :( i dont want to see him suffer and want him to survive! the cage is mingingly dirty as i cant clean him out because i fear this will kill him quicker! :( help :(:(:(

2. Tweedle Dee

Tweedle Dee PetForums Member

Sounds like Lice or mite's, not usually common in hamsters as they are such clean little animals. He will need treatment..best check with the vet what you can use as there may be something specific for rodents...proberbly living in a Quote - 'mingingly dirty' cage has something to do with it!

Ang

3. BlackCat

BlackCat PetForums Member

There will be an emergency vets open-if your hamster is seriously ill then call them tonight! Clean cages generally help too in order to keep them healthy... In the meantime take him out of his cage and comb him through to at least give him some relief tonight as 'minging' as that may be.

4. englishrose943

englishrose943 PetForums VIP

How can cleaning out the QUOTE minging cage kill him quicker? Im sorry but id like to see him in comfort and clean than leave him in a minging cage riddled with mites.Sort it out.:mad::mad:
    Michelle

5. swinnk8

swinnk8 PetForums Junior

No cage should get into a mingingly filthy condition to start with. I have never seen a hamster with flystrike/mites. the only way it can get like that is if you are not taking good care of it. Sorry if the truth hurts, just get him sorted. You should be looking at him and handling him daily and he should never end up with any bugs on him,you cannot be cleaning him out enough

6. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

What bedding are you keeping him on? Sometimes mites live in the bedding but as others have said if the cage is filthy then looks like thats why hes so bad...you noticed he was dieing last night but didnt do anything about it - but now at night you have taken a closer look to see what could be mites - when can you get him to a vet? Oh yes and clean his cage out - this wont kill him but staying in a dirty cage will!

7. claire

claire Guest

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr thats awful poor little bugger clean him out!

8. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

If you wanted him to survive you would have taken him to a vet when they were open!
    Why is the cage mingingly dirty?? How often did you clean him out??
    Poor animal! Do you have others?
    Theres something very wrong here.

9. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

do you think this post is a wind up?..............I hope so.........if not clean the poor thing out and get it to the vets

10. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

Think you might be right vix. Hope so anyway!

11. xxxskittlesxxx

well i arent as cruel as you all make me out to be and hees dead now so theres nothing i can do! thanks for being so supportive all you lot!:(

12. xxxskittlesxxx

well sorry but i dident mean what i quoted! it just shows how supportive some people actualy are! hees dead now anyway so theres nothing i could have done! thanks alot for being so nice to me! i am only 15 :(

13. englishrose943

englishrose943 PetForums VIP

feel really awful now

14. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

we are sorry that your hamster died,, couldnt your parents of helped you get him to vet, i know its to late now,, we are very sorry for your loss,,,:(:(

15. BlackCat

BlackCat PetForums Member

I'm sorry to hear that he's died :(

However with the title 'minging hamster' what more would you expect? Surely by calling him that, plus saying yourself his cage was dirty there's no other support we could give than a) clean him out, and b) take him to a vet.

Pet ownership comes with responsibilities.

16. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

............Exactly!

17. Dawny

Dawny PetForums Member

Hamster owners do my nut in. (Even though I am one!) We once had someone bring one in that had had its leg bitten off by their cat but wasn't in pain because it wasn't squeaking...

18. Tweedle Dee

Tweedle Dee PetForums Member

I would have thought 15 was old enough and responsible enough to look after a pet properly..

Im sure most replies didnt intentionally mean to be unsupportive ,but you did give the impression that you had'nt been looking after the animal properly.

Im very sorry your poor hamster died..maybe remember what happened to him if you ever decide to own another pet!

19. cupcake

cupcake PetForums Member

I'm sorry that your hammy died. ):

also, I am 15. I look after my animals properly and am very responsible. Saying you are 15 is no excuse.

[​IMG]

20. claire

claire Guest

well said i also had pets at 15 (Cat, 2 leopard geckos and cokatiel) and i looked after them all i didnt get any help either from my parent (unless i went on holiday) as they said i asked for them and bought them is was my job to make sure they were looked after

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice