Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Minding a friends dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by jjmc, Apr 19, 2011.

1. jjmc

jjmc PetForums Member

Hi folks,

We've agreed to look after our friends dog at the end of May, duration will be one week.

Both are Westies, our Ted will by then be 19 weeks and our friend's dog Benji will be just under a year. They've met once in the past for about 20 mins and got along well.

The intended preparation plan is as follows:

Gradual re-introduction, 10 mins yesterday, tomorrow 20 mins ( maybe longer), we're away from Friday until 3rd May.

When we come back shall keep on extending their period together, going for walks etc. up to Benji staying with us for the day, and then to stay overnight about 10 days before our friends go on hols.

Any advise to see if we are on the right track, or if there's anything else we should take into consideration.

Thanks

2. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

Sounds like you have got it sorted hope they get along im sure they will :) if not keep them seperated at night if crate trained all the better good luck :D

3. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

Sounds like you have a good action plan :)

Just one tip, however well they seem to be getting on I wouldnt leave them alone together, just not worth the risk. :)

Looking forward to seeing lots and lots of photos

4. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Looks like a good plan to me.
    Let us know how you get on and some piccies would be lovely please :001_smile:

5. jjmc

jjmc PetForums Member

Many thanks for the reassurance. Today I dropped into the local dog rescue to donate the excess food I had in the house, so I took the opportunity to ask the people there what to do. They were in agreement with the plan, said to take it really really slow at first and then increase gradually.

I agree about them sleeping separately. I'll leave Ted in his usual place in the kitchen and Benji can sleep in the living room as he's fully house trained.

Picture attached, took me ages to figure out where I was going wrong, there'll be no stopping me now

Attached Files:

#5 jjmc, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice