Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Min Pins and showing

Discussion in 'Dog Shows and Events' started by Buddy Blue, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Buddy Blue

Buddy Blue PetForums Newbie

Hi There!
    Having NEVER shown myself, but merely done some homework as i am looking into buying my second dog, it seems that Miniature Pinschers dont have a great track record at gaining Champ points. Correct me if im wrong. They are, without a doubt, my fave of the toy breeds and i am 99 percent sure i will buy one when ive finished doing my research, but just wondered how they fair in the ring against the others in their group and the other groups generally. My top priority is having a dog who fits my lifestyle and home but i would love to do some showing and so ANY info is gratefully received. Min Pin Breeders'/ owners' info a bonus!

Many Thanks

2. dogsdinner

dogsdinner PetForums Junior

Where abouts are you? Not sure about the reference to champ points.. :confused: so just wondered, so we can give the best reply

3. Debbiehut

Debbiehut PetForums Member

I think you will find many judges dont know the breed, so many dont place them grr grr... "i so often get asked by the judge" What breed is it???" or classic "Ow a Manchester Terrier!!"
    It is always best to get in the Toy class.

4. hawksport

hawksport Banned

I take it that is at non KC shows?

5. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

also at open shows in avnsc etc as well i'd guess.

6. hawksport

hawksport Banned

That's bad, how can they judge a dog if they don't even know what breed it is.

7. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

Hi - if I were you I would start by going to some shows and talking to breeders. They are the ones who will really know what the show scene is like - and will also be able to tell you everything you need to know about the breed, including who are the best breeders and who will have show quallity puppies available.

8. Spellweaver

It does happen! We were once at an open show and Sarah was showing Baggio in a Junior Handling Class. We were sitting next to a man who suddenly said, "What on earth is that dog?" and pointed to Baggio. Emma (who had worked on the stand at Discover Dogs despite only being 10 years old at that time) proceeded to tell him all about the bergamasco, and pointed out all the things that made Baggio a fantastic example of the breed (well, she loved him to bits and was proud of him :p) Imagine our surprise when the Import Reg class was called an hour later and this man turned out to be the judge! Mind you, we did get Best Import wth Baggio because he knew he was a fantastic example of the breed thanks to Emma! :lol: - wonder if we'd have done so well if he hadn't been watching the junior handling?

And then we were once at a champ show where a different judge came to the stewards table and asked to look at the breed standard for the bergamasco halfway through Baggio's class - he wanted to check whether or not the tail should have been held erect (it should, but this is not common in pastoral breeds). At least he checked and didn't just assume and mark Baggio down.

And there was another time, again at a champ show, where a steward sent Emma and Calli out of the ring because he said she had the wrong ring number on. When I showed him in the catalogue that she had the right ring number on, he said, "But that ring number says a bergamasco puppy". :rolleyes: I had to explain that bergies don't start to grow their maps until they are alnmost a year old. :p

The Bergamasco Club of GB did a lot of judges seminars after that, and thankfully it's not been as bad since!

#8 Spellweaver, Aug 22, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  9. Spellweaver

Do you mean the Toy Group? They will have to enter their own classes for min pins or AVNSC Toy, and win best of breed, before they can go in the toy group.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice