Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Min, Max age for breeding a female?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Purrrrfect, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Purrrrfect

Purrrrfect PetForums VIP

What is the minimum age that you should start breeding
    from a female cat and what's the maximum age to stop?

2. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

IMO queens should be no younger than 12 months for a first litter. I think the upper age is a bit more open ended and depends, to some extent, upon the cat. One of my girls had her last litter of (six) kittens at 7 years old which she coped with brilliantly; probably easier than her previous litters in fact but I tend to have my girls spayed at around 5 years old, maximum.

3. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

IMO you have to go with the cat, some girls don't call unti they are almost 2 years and at the other end of the scale you have some start calling as young as 14 weeks, if a cat calls persistantly it is better they are mated sooner rather than later, so it may be as young as 8-9 months IF the cat is constantly calling. I agree between 4-6 years old is enough for the cat depending on how she has bred, i.e. not constantly.

4. purrlover

purrlover PetForums Senior

honey was one on the 1st of this month and had her first litter today ... she did however call constantly and to be honest i would have liked her to hold off for bit longer but she was starting to lose condition so between me , the stud breeder /my mentor and the vet we went with her earlier rather than later :)
    juliex

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice