Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Million dollar vegan challenge for Lent to the Pope

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rottiepointerhouse, Feb 6, 2019.

1. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

Link below to petition and lets see if we can get him on board - love the video with the very eloquent young girl.

https://www.milliondollarvegan.com/en-gb/introducing-million-dollar-vegan/

As it says a new organisation is offering the Pope $1 million to a charity of his choice if he will accept the challenge and do a vegan diet for Lent.

The world is facing many serious and pressing issues, not least climate change, deforestation, species loss, pollution, the decimation of the oceans, antibiotic resistance, the suffering of billions of animals, and chronic health complaints. What all of these things have in common is animal farming and the consumption of animal products.

Animal farming is one of the largest contributors to human-caused climate-changing emissions, generating more greenhouse gases than the entire global transport sector combined.
    Your Holiness, we are asking you to help us fight climate change with diet change.

Animal farming uses 83 percent of agricultural land but provides just 18 percent of our calories. Since it takes a lot more land to produce meat than it does to produce plant foods, ancient forests are razed to the ground, and the animals who live there are displaced or killed.
    Your Holiness, we are asking you to help us fight deforestation and species loss with diet change.

Billions of farmed animals produce an enormous amount of waste, which leaks out of store tanks causing destruction to aquatic wildlife and creating ocean dead zones. Nitrogen compounds from fertilisers and animal waste also make farming the ‘biggest single cause of the worst air pollution in Europe’.
    Your Holiness, we are asking you to help us fight air, sea and land pollution with diet change.

More than 30 percent of the world’s fisheries have been pushed beyond their biological limits and are in need of dramatic action to restore them, while whole populations of fish are on the verge of collapse.
    Your Holiness, we are asking you to help us save the oceans through diet change.

Antibiotics are widely used to keep animals alive in squalid factory farm conditions. Because of their overuse, diseases are becoming resistant to some antibiotics and this threatens all of our futures.
    Your Holiness, we are asking you to help us end antibiotic resistance through diet change.

Billions of animals spend their entire lives inside factory farms yet when faced with the realities of their lives – the filth and squalor, sickness and desperation, pain and misery – most of us find the system impossible to justify.
    Your Holiness, we are asking you to help prevent animal suffering through diet change.

Too many people suffer from serious but often preventable health conditions, including obesity, type 2 diabetes, heart disease and cancers, which can be connected to our increased consumption of animal products.

Your Holiness, for all these reasons, we are asking you to try vegan for Lent, and to encourage others to do the same.

noushka05 and Elles like this.
  2. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

3. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Why the pope? :confused:

4. rottiepointerhouse

This is what they say

"Pope Francis has spoken at length about humanity’s irresponsible use of the Earth’s resources and the urgent challenges we face to protect our common home. He has talked about pollution, climate change, deforestation, loss of biodiversity, and our wasteful use of energy and water, and he has stated his ‘particular appreciation’ for those who ‘tirelessly seek to resolve the tragic effects of environmental degradation on the world’s poorest.’1

While his 2015 Encyclical Letter reveals just how deeply Pope Francis cares for our shared home and all its inhabitants, he may not yet know that there is one human activity that links all these ecological challenges: animal farming."

"We have deep respect for Pope Francis’s message that we must change our behaviours for the good of our planet – and we hope that he will be receptive to our own compassionate message, too. Our sincere wish is that he will go vegan for Lent and encourage others to do the same, and we would be delighted if he accepted the $1 million for the charity of his choice. By taking part, he would have a huge and positive impact across the world."

cheekyscrip and noushka05 like this.
  5. anachronism

anachronism PetForums VIP

Why can people not be left to make their own minds up about what they eat? I'm sure he is aware of veganism and if he wants to, will.

6. rottiepointerhouse

Lots of reasons @anachronism here are just a few

1. The planet belongs to all of us and we have to take a collective responsibility for the actions/habits we have that are destroying it and not just leave it up to individuals to decide whether they can be bothered or not.

2. When there are victims involved (animals) someone has to stand up and lead the way so who better than the Pope? Its easy to say "its my choice what I eat and nothing to do with anyone else" but I'm afraid it does concern everyone else when victims are being used and abused. If it were kittens being gassed/having their throats cut/being thrown in a blender whilst still alive would you ignore it?

3. Last but not least the health implications. Not sure if you are in the UK but if you are our NHS is struggling to meet demand. Many chronic diseases are not only preventable but reversible with a plant based diet. It is tragic on humanitarian grounds alone to see people suffering from illnesses that they don't have to. If we don't reverse the decline in public health things look very bleak for the future as younger and younger people fall prey to illnesses that will affect their ability to work/to pay taxes/to enjoy a family life and which will be a huge drain on the health care services.

#6 rottiepointerhouse, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    noushka05 likes this.
  7. anachronism

We obviously have different views and I shall bow out here I think. I don't agree with using emotive language and guilt tripping in order to try and police other peoples diets. This attitude is why people have issues with vegans

8. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I'm certain the Pope is very capable of deciding for himself how he wishes to live.

9. rottiepointerhouse

I'm sorry, I thought you wanted to discuss the issue.

Of course he is. No one is saying he isn't. They are asking him to go Vegan for Lent, not for the rest of his life.

noushka05 likes this.
  10. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

Doesn’t hurt to put the facts out there. Many people have no idea, when it came to dairy I certainly didn’t. I can’t force the Pope to do anything and I doubt he will, but good to see folk putting their money where their mouth is for a change, even if it could be considered bribery. There’s plenty of corruption in the Catholic Church, the Pope is in the news today saying so, so what’s a bit of bribery. :D

11. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

Not even for a million dollars and only for Lent? :eek:

12. anachronism

Not really, I know from your past posts we are unlikely to agree (which is fine) but was just making a statement. No discussion needed.

13. rottiepointerhouse

Can't believe some of the responses on this thread. This is a 12 year old girl trying to make a difference. Lent is a time when Christians give something up so she thought it would be a good idea to ask the Pope to go vegan just for Lent. I really don't get why people have such an issue with that.

https://40acts.org.uk/about/what-is-lent/

What do Christians do during Lent?
    These days, Christians around the world observe Lent in many ways. Many from more orthodox and traditional denominations will still observe the fast strictly, beginning with the wearing of ashes on Ash Wednesday and abstinence of meat, fish, eggs and fats until Easter Sunday.

Others will choose to give up just one item for Lent, more commonly a ‘luxury’ such as chocolate, meat or alcohol. It is also becoming increasingly common for people to give up other things in order to refocus their faith during this time; such as watching TV, going to the gym, even social media.

cheekyscrip and noushka05 like this.
  14. rottiepointerhouse

Oh OK. Next time perhaps say that you are making a statement and don't want your opinion to be challenged in any way then I'll know. However if you are not up for having your opinions challenged I'm not quite sure why you feel its OK to challenge mine. @Animallover26 :(:(

noushka05 and Blaise in Surrey like this.
  15. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

ForestWomble likes this.
  16. anachronism

I haven't challenged your opinions, you are welcome to them but having read them before I don't see the point in going round and round with you posting me articles that I won't read, reading guilt tripping posts. Neither of us will change the others mind so I see no need for a debate. But i certainly haven't challenged you

17. rottiepointerhouse

Thanks but I haven't.

18. rottiepointerhouse

QUOTE="anachronism, post: 1065382859, member: 1408948"]Why can people not be left to make their own minds up about what they eat?[/QUOTE]

I took this to be a challenge or at the very least a question that you wanted answered but never mind. Sorry if my posts guilt trip you, I do understand its not comfortable when someone makes us think about things we would rather not. I went through a very similar thing with @noushka05 but deep down I knew she was right which was why it hurt so much at the time.

noushka05 likes this.
  19. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

Ok :)

rottiepointerhouse likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice