Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Mikki Muzzles

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by leaky5, Nov 12, 2012.

1. leaky5

leaky5 PetForums Member

Has anyone used a Mikki muzzle to try and top a dog eating thing on a walk. I know they don't cover the front of the mouth, but wondered if they made it difficult to eat ?

2. missnaomi

missnaomi PetForums VIP

I don't think these are suitable for walking as they hold the mouth closed so no panting is possible - I think the only ones recommended for walks are Baskerville style ones.

Might be wrong though?! Hopefully someone else can clarify!

Naomi

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

If its the mikki fabric muzzles then they are not a good idea on a walk, the dogs cant pant properly and as its the main source of cooling themselves down its not a good idea. A better one would be a Baskerville muzzle, as they can still pant freely.

4. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Agree with what's already been said, you want a basket type muzzle rather than the ones that hold the dogs mouth shut. Baskerville and Baskerville Ultra seem to be the most popular type.

5. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

I agree with the others, you need a baskerville, but not the baskerville ultra as this will not stop them trying to eat through it.

6. GermanShepardOwner

GermanShepardOwner PetForums Senior

Mikki muzzles are awful, dog can not pant and be sick if needed. Baskeville muzzle is the best one which can be used for short periods of time. Make sure it is introduced properly.

7. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

I wouldn't say they're awful, just that they have a different use. They are not designed to be used during exercise or for long periods.

They are useful for vets and others who have to handle dogs what are either aggressive or may display aggression due to being in pain etc.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice