Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Mikah's little lip is swollen again

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by rachael, Aug 17, 2009.

1. rachael

rachael PetForums Senior

Well since I took Jayla on a home visit, Mikah started eating out of Jayla's plastic food bowl. It's been a week and a half since Jayla went back to the shelter, and since then Mikah has only been eating out of her stainless steel food bowl (which has never given us any problems), her spots that were swollen before all have reduced in size significantly, and an intirely different spot on her lip has begun to swell.

I guess I need advice, because my family and I really cannot afford a visit to the vet right now.. We can really only go if we absoloutly need to.

I was wondering if you guys thought it'd be absoloulty horrible if I held off on the vet visit for a few days and just keep an eye on Mikah's lip instedand see if it gets any better or any worse. I know that the vet will just give her a cortazone shot - it's what they always have done for her... (And it always works)... I just want to see if this will go away on its own.. Is there anything that I can do at home to help?

Sorry for the poor quality, the photo is from my phone.

Attached Files:

2. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

2 ceams I wuld use are Brulidine (sp) or Savlon. It works wonders, even on cats, see how it is then go and see vet if no better in a few days.

3. rachael

rachael PetForums Senior

The reason I don't want to use a cream is because she will just eat it

4. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

How about the savlon spray ? Too traumatic ?

5. rachael

rachael PetForums Senior

Yeah... The noise would make her go nuts.. and again she'd just keep licking it...

I guess my main question is:

Is it wrong of me to wait and see for another day or two if it gets better or worse?

Money is tight and my parents don't want to spend unless they have to.. She doesn't seem to be in pain either.. It's red, but not yellow. She has had things get yellow before and form into open sores.. If that happens then she's defanately going to the vet.

6. rachael

rachael PetForums Senior

I ended up taking her to the vet today because it turned yellow in one spot and an open sore formed.. It looked like it was starting to get infected.. And I know that infections always just get worse without proper care. I have to give her 1cc of clavamox twice daily for about a week..

It came out to about $35.. Not so bad.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice