Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Microwave cats!!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Steph400183, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Steph400183

Steph400183 PetForums Newbie

Hi, I'm new here and am hoping for some advice from some of you please. Having lost my beloved old cat last December due to a sudden illness, I am now the anxiuos owner of two rescue cats from the Cats Protection. They are 6 month old siblings (boy and girl) and are very, very timid, especially the boy.

We have only had them a couple of days so far and to an extent they have improved. They spent the first day hiding behind the microwave and cannot be handled. The girl spent today on the tall fridge or the cupboard tops. The boy hisses a little when we go near him, but not all the time and spends most of his time hiding in his carry case. We are trying to be very calm with no sudden movements and currently have them confined to the kitchen and utility room. We go in and out talking to them nicely and occasionally attempting to give them a stroke. We sit on the floor and just spend time in the same room as them. They have some toys and today did interact with me and the toys for a little while.

The kittens have been with CP since before they were 6 weeks old and have been moved around to several foster homes. I don't believe they have ever been mistreated, but I'm thinking they just haven't had individual attention and handling or ever felt settled. As yet they have never been outside but thankfully are both litter trained. I have several questions to which I would like advice from any of you who have had similar experience please. I have read books and web sites but so far have not found anything that seems to help.

I know it's early days, but I am keen for the cats to be happy, relaxed and enjoying life as soon as possible. They both seem so stressed at the moment, so my questions are:

How can I get them to be less frightened and happy to be handled?

Has anyone ever used clicker training with any success? I wanted to use a positive approach to training e.g. if they start scratchng the furniture etc?

If I am to try clicker training I need a treat that they will go mad for, any ideas? They are not at all interested in cat nip drops or fishy treats.

Any other advice that you feel relevant would be much appreciated.

Thank you in anticipation

Steph40183

2. koekemakranka

koekemakranka PetForums VIP

Still early days. Keep doing what you are doing and be patient. My new girl took 2 full weeks before venturing out of "her" room. It will happen, don't worry.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice