Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Microwave cats!!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Steph400183, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Steph400183

Steph400183 PetForums Newbie

Hi, I'm new here and am hoping for some advice from some of you please. Having lost my beloved old cat last December due to a sudden illness, I am now the anxiuos owner of two rescue cats from the Cats Protection. They are 6 month old siblings (boy and girl) and are very, very timid, especially the boy.

We have only had them a couple of days so far and to an extent they have improved. They spent the first day hiding behind the microwave and cannot be handled. The girl spent today on the tall fridge or the cupboard tops. The boy hisses a little when we go near him, but not all the time and spends most of his time hiding in his carry case. We are trying to be very calm with no sudden movements and currently have them confined to the kitchen and utility room. We go in and out talking to them nicely and occasionally attempting to give them a stroke. We sit on the floor and just spend time in the same room as them. They have some toys and today did interact with me and the toys for a lttile while.

The kittens have been with CP since before they were 6 weeks old and have been moved around to several foster homes. I don't believel have ever been mistreated but I'm thinking they just haven't had individual attention and handling or ever felt settled. As yet they have never been outside but thank fully are both litter trained. I have several questions to which I would like advice from any of you who have had similar experience please. I have read books and web sites but so far have not found anything that seems to help.

I know it's early days, but I am keen for the cats to be happy, relaxed and enjoying life as soon as possible. They both seem so stressed at the moment, so my questions are:

How can I get them to be less frightened and happy to be handled?

Has anyone ever used clicker training with any success? I wanted to use a positive approach to training e.g. if they start scratchng the furniture etc?

If I am to try clicker training I need a treat that they will go mad for, any ideas? They are not at all interested in cat nip drops or fishy treats.

Any other advice that you feel relevant would be much appreciated.

Thank you in anticipation

Steph40183

2. Paddy Paws

Paddy Paws PetForums Member

Congratulations on your new rescue cats. It sounds like they would benefit from a Feliway Plug In . I don't know of anyone that has used a clicker with a cat. It is not something that I would immediately think would be successful with a cat but I know of people who have clicker trained their chickens so I suppose it is not out of the question :D

3. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Hi there

Try the Whiskas Temptations or Dreamies cat treats. I know they're full of junk, but they're easy to get hold of. I haven't met a cat yet who won't do back flips for Dreamies. The rustle of the package can wake mine out of a dead sleep and have her on my lap kneading and chirrupping at me in about half a second flat, and this from a couch potato Persian!

You're doing the right thing by going in and sitting with them. Take a book in with you and just read aloud when you're in there. That way they get used to the sound of your voice while you're engaged in a behaviour that keeps your eyes away from them, and so makes you seem like less of a threat. Use dangler toys to allow them to play without the need to get too close to you. Make a big deal of putting down nice things for them to eat, like wet food, talking to them all the while and making sure they are watching you. Get something that smells like you and put it in their favourite hiding place. An old sweater makes a great nest for kittens to curl up in. Sleep in it first, as your smell tends to permeate it more if you're cuddled up in a warm bed with it on. You're doing right by leaving the carrier down, as they need somewhere that they feel secure to run away and hide in. Make sure that every time you enter the rooms where they are is associated with pleasure, so always bring something different. A toy, a treat, some nice food. What an advantage that they've never been let out! It means you can have indoor cats if you want them that way.

I hope some of this helps, but do feel free to ask for more specific tips if you need them.

4. Steph400183

Steph400183 PetForums Newbie

Hi, thanks Paddy Paws and Carly 87 for your replies and useful tips.

Interestingly I read about the Feliway plug in today and went straight to the vet to buy one. I plugged it in as soon as I got home, so we shall see if it helps.

I will try the Dreamies and putting an item with my smell on in the carry case. The girl is coming out of her shell a little and will at times play really well with a dangler toy and I even managed to stroke her eventually this morning as she played and purred when I went in to the room first thing. Then she remembered she was meant to be frightened of me and spent the rest of the day up on the cupboard.

The boy shows no interest in anything, he is not the slightest bit interested in the dangler toys or ping pong balls that have the girl diving all over the place. Lets hope he loves the dreamies, I'm off to get spme tomorrow!

Steph400183

5. Katherna

Katherna PetForums Senior

When I moved into my new house one of my cats hid in a cupboard for a week, only coming out to eat, drink and use the tray. When they get used to their new home they'll become more sociable with you.

6. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

now its not nice to microwave cats they dont like it and in my opinion it's just plain crule :( ........................ *reads post* oh right yeah you are doing everything right and yeah extra yummy treats wont go a miss im sure :D

7. loumoo

loumoo PetForums Junior

Exactly like my two sisters, apart from the fact they hid behind my sofar/tv etc when i got them.
    Fine with trays etc. i had the trays in my living room to start, then transported the cats to isolation in the bathroom as they forgot the trays and etc.

I have an older cat who chases and hisses..not so bad now.As feliway saved my life and the fact we just moved.The 3 cats all moving at the same time changed the tension somewhat i think..

Anyway my timid of the two sisters took till now..about a year to come to me mostly, sit on my lap and so on. She still runs off sometimes, and has her place ontop of the fridge..

She used to do her poo behind the tv and her sister got a UTI..used the bath alot..

Now they all use the trays..Less stress i think now..

Apart from the older whining to go out more, only been here a week and now the previous indoor cat9 one of two) likes it outside....

Anyway i waffled, time is the key here..that and affection, treats and letting them come to you...

8. Abster21

Abster21 PetForums Junior

Hi,

Your story sounds very similar to mine - we had two rescue kittens who were very scared when we first brought them home. The female was first to start to trust us - I spent the first day sitting on the floor reading a book and talking to them and occasionally playing with a toy I'd brought with them from the rescue centre. They both retreated to the carrier for most of the first few days, and after that progressed to the sleeping box under the scratching post.

We would pick them up and cuddle when they got close enough, but let them run off again if they wanted to.

Even now, 7 months on, the male is still very timid around loud noises or strangers and he hides under the sofa (doesn't matter that he no longer fits under there!).

My advice would be to encourage the girl as she will most likely reassure the boy that you are here to help and love them!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice