Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

microchipping toy breeds?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by JAChihuahua, Nov 23, 2012.

1. JAChihuahua

JAChihuahua PetForums VIP

Hi

I really want to get my girl chipped but I am concerned about her size and the size of the chips. She isnt even 1kg (850g) yet at 12 weeks old.

Am I worrying about nothing?

Does anyone have any experience of chipping toy breed puppies? Did it all go ok?

We had our last family dog chipped when I was a teen (17 years ago), and I remember the chips were fairly big, about the size of a woodlouse. Have they changed?

any advice would be appreciated

#1 JAChihuahua, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  2. Nataliee

Nataliee PetForums VIP

I had all 3 of my chis chipped at the same time, 2 were adults 1 was a pup she was probably about 3lb at the time. When they had it done the biggest screamed, the middle one tried to bite the vet, and the little pup sat there good as gold like it never happened :)

3. Terrier Fan

Terrier Fan PetForums VIP

I had my Yorkie microchipped at 18wks, he was 960g.

He didn't even flinch :)

4. kodakkuki

kodakkuki PetForums VIP

personally, i dont like micro-chipping pups under 3lbs. my vet actually asked to wait until bambi was 5ish months before chipping her to see if she'd get any bigger because he didnt want to hurt her too much. she was 3.3lbs and did suffer with it tbh, but she isn't a good sufferer at the best o times- shes the type that would walk into your leg and run yelping! :rolleyes:

5. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

Im an implanter and the chips are the size of a grain of rice,its safe to chip kittens/puppys from 8wks plus.

6. vscntkY

vscntkY Banned

Cam on ban da post bai day nhiet tinh va hang hai tren dien dan nay.
    Chung ta cung chung tay xay dung dien dan manh me.
    Best all the.

7. kodakkuki

kodakkuki PetForums VIP

But you have to remember the bruising that the chip will cause; the diameter of the bruise is the same on a Dane as a Yorkie, so a 20p sized bruise is nothing on a big pup, but a pup ghat is the same size as a 5ish week kitten is going to hurt a hell of a lot more. Bambi wasn't That bad when she got it implanted, it was a few hours later she started to cry, and kept foing pretty much solid for nearly 2 days. She still squealed every time she moved her head too fast for well kvet a fortnight.
    If the pup is going to be confined and supervised until the 2nd injection, then personally I don see a need in puttin them through all that for no real reason. Those few weeks make a huge sifferencw in the size of ups after all!

8. we love bsh's

:confused: i said 8 weeks not 5 sorry dont understand.

I chip all my own kittens they dont get the stiff sore neck that you discribe i think kittens are smaller than pups of the same age.

I chip my kittens when they are 13weeks.But like i say it is safe to do so tfrom 8 weeks,i agree tho if you can wait a little longer then do.

9. kodakkuki

kodakkuki PetForums VIP

not very tiny yorkies and the like though... i may have exagerated slightly, but i've definately seen some 5-6 week kittens bigger than my slightly older pups (i've had a few tinies :( )

10. we love bsh's

8 week old kittens weigh around 800g i dont now how much 8wk old toy breed pups weigh.

11. kodakkuki

kodakkuki PetForums VIP

Kuki would have been about 800 at 8 weeks- shes 5 1/2lbs now. poppet (9lber) was maybe 900- and she's a Big Yorkie! But Bambi was only about 500- if even -at 8 weeks..

12. we love bsh's

Wow 500g! I wouldnt chip anything less that 800g.I do prefere to chip an older pet,more skin to play with.I would say given the choice to give on the second jab.

13. JAChihuahua

JAChihuahua PetForums VIP

looking at her weight chart now, she was 588g at 8 weeks, and the day she turned 12 weeks she was 842g.

I think I will wait a few more weeks until she is over the 1kg mark which should be (if she follows growth curve) around 15 weeks.

thank you everyone for all your help.

14. Luz

Luz PetForums VIP

Hi my pup was 600g at 8 weeks. He was 1k 250g at 16 1/2 weeks. I think he was chipped at 3 calendar months.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice