Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Microchipping Italian Greyhounds

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by flosskins, Jan 16, 2012.

1. flosskins

flosskins PetForums Senior

I have 2 tiny six month old IGs and have been putting off getting them micro chipped as they seem so delicate and screamed and bled just from their vaccinations! Has anyone got any experiences with micro chipping these little dogs?

2. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

They should be fine...i was so worried about chester getting done as he is pobably of similar build ...he did yelp, but very soon forgot about it.

3. Ashleigh870

Ashleigh870 PetForums Junior

I was terrified getting Evie chipped, she was tiny (not much bigger than the size in my profile picture) .. My vet reassured me very well, and i got my sister to hold her (i think i was worse than the dog!) she did bleed a little, she whimpered when it was getting done and was a bit under the weather for the rest of the day. I made sure i was off work for the entire day just so i could keep an eye on her. Micro-chipping is becoming required here in Northern Ireland, i know it's not else where but i couldn't justify putting it off until she was older! It's an extra excuse for even more cuddles, attention and feeling guilty! Good luck!

4. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

Pebbles (whippet x greyhound) is currently 4 months old, 16.5" high and has a 9.5" neck. She wailed the place down when she got her vaccinations so i know that she will be terrified about getting her micro-chip.

I have made sure to visit the vets on regularly intervals, to ensure that this one time she does get it done doesnt put her off for life.

The vet has suggested that i wait until she is 6 months old however with her being so small and "delicate" so i guess only time will tell.

I know exactly how you feel, but IMO i would rather micro-chip then not, as with any breed i guess, the smaller raciers are more eye-catching to those wanting to use them as rabbiting dogs.

Have you thought about tatoo-ing also? This may be a better option than micro-chipping, if you are really worried?

Edited to add - WE WANT PICS!!! :D

5. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

I took Chester to a different place than my vets normal vets to get him chipped...just incase it put him off going to my regular vets..

6. rose

rose PetForums VIP

Can they not be done during their spay/neuter so wont feel it?

7. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Thats what I did with Heidi. She was tiny (4Ibs) for ages and didnt really fill out til after her spay. I had her microchipped with her spay. although it did mean I was too scared to let her off her flexilead til I had it done.:eek:

8. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

They will be fine I have 4 italians and 1 cross bred Buck was done by his breeders vet when he was vaccinated Willow is a lot bigger and was doen at a fun show when he was 6 months. He squealed and it took my son and a nurse to hold him still. Mac Tabitha and Micca are all 14 weeks and will be done asap.

If you are having them neutered ask the vet about having it done then. I also have a chi x yorkie who is smaller than my IG pups and she was chipped in the summer and was fine too.

9. amymay01

amymay01 PetForums Member

I own a greyhound and he is the biggist wimp going ! he yelps at everything yet we didnt hear a peep out of him while having his microchip done ! I have to say I was so suprized I was expecting to have to carry him home lmao!!!!

10. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Ask your vet if they do the mini-microchips. They are smaller than the normal microchips, which means that the needle is much smaller too and less likely to hurt as much :)

11. Eithne

Eithne PetForums Member

Molly was microchipped by the SSPCA when she was spayed, however, I was worried when she got her 2nd set of jags but she was fine.

12. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

My vet wouldn't chip Danny as he was so tiny as a puppy. He said to wait until he was older & bigger or if we planned on getting him neutered to do it then, as most people prefer to have it done when they're knocked out.

13. flosskins

flosskins PetForums Senior

Yes my vet recomended waiting until they are 6 months but they are now and have only 4" necks! Won't be spayed so thats not an option. Hadnt heard of smaller micrcohips, are they available from most vets?

14. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I would get them done the chip goes between the shoulder blades anyway so it doesn't really matter how big their necks are. My Buck was done at 8 weeks by his breeders vet. He was tiny his neck is smaller than 8" now and we striggle to get an iggie collar small enough for him.

How are your pups bred are they litter mates? I have 3 other IG's that are 14 weeks brother and sister and another who is the same age and comes from the same breeder but is from a different litter.

15. Manoy Moneelil

Manoy Moneelil PetForums VIP

Is it only me that sees such a title and thinks about microchipping to make them go faster ?

16. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Go faster ....................

you wouldn't want them to go faster they never stop. Buck is mr laid back if he was any more laid back he wouldn't get out of bed in the morning but he is the exception. They are often called demented fleas they are like the duracell rabbits.:D:D:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice