Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

MicroChip

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Miss smith, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Miss smith

Miss smith PetForums Newbie

Please help...
    I know this sounds stupid but I only just found out that my dog needs to be microchipped. I'm panicking so much. I have social anxiety so I literally never go out unless it's to walk my dog. I take him out in the morning and then late at night so I don't bump into anyone. I have paranoia too. I play on my PlayStation a lot to get away from the real world...so I haven't had any news updates for a very long time. Half the time I find out something major happened months after it happens. So I looked up microchipping to see how much it costs and it says it's illegal for a dog not to be microchipped. I'm literally having a panic attack. My dog doesn't let me put a muzzle on him and he doesn't like strangers touching him. He doesn't even let me put a harness on him. I have to use a leash that has a collar attached. He's a lovely dog with so much joy and personality...But I don't know what to do. Will I get fined if I take him to get chipped? I'm in such a panic. What if I called the vets and explained this all? I won't even know how to take him to the vets since he does not even let me put a muzzle on him. He's 5 years old.
    I know...I'm not sounding like a good owner. I love him though and he's saved my life many times. He is my best friend... I can't lose him. I'm really trying here.

2. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

No you won't be fined - the vets will just microchip him, they won't fine you. They want to help you and your dog - not cause more problems.

Seems like you need a lot more help with behavioural side of things - hopefully someone will be along with some advice.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Tucson

Tucson PetForums Junior

No you won't be fined for complying with the law although they may well ask why he hasn't already been chipped, just tell the truth. It wasn't law when you got him but it is now. Not all dogs need to be muzzled for a chip to be done, can you distract him enough by making a fuss of him by his head, it's all over quite quickly and tbh he really needs to get used to people more than he currently is, just build it up gradually.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. Miss smith

Miss smith PetForums Newbie

He gets really anxious if he's around people he doesn't know. I don't think he would even let me pick him up and put him on the table if he didn't have a muzzle. He gets scared...He's a loud Jack Russell Terrior. He likes to act tough but cowards away and will panic if he doesn't feel safe. He's a really good dog inside the house and he is the funniest silly dog I know! But he doesn't like having things put on him or strangers touching him. He never has since he was a puppy. I took him to training till he was 2 years old and he still doesn't like it.

But thank you for calming my mind about the fine. I will find a way to get the muzzle on him as soon as I can.

5. Whiteshadow

Whiteshadow PetForums Senior

You won't be fined . You are doing the right thing and as said you can hold his head so hopefully no need for muzzle. Also use the opportunity you are at the vets for general check up make sure his up to date with vaccinations fleas and worms treatment ,weight etc.
    You will be fine but please reach out for some support for yourself . Ask your GP to help you with your stress level and also to refer you to mental support in your community.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. DizzyNova

DizzyNova PetForums Member

Try not to worry too much about going to the vets, I have a 3.5 year old rescue dog who is terrified of people and yet will happily(?) let the vets do their thing whenever we take her. Vets are aware that not all dogs are fond of people and they know the best way to handle it, my dog very rarely has to go on the table as the vet will often come down to her level rather than cause her further stress by being picked up.

Also, just a thought, with our touch sensitive dog we taught her to touch our hands with her nose for a treat and whenever she meets someone new they ask her to touch and she will press her nose to their hand for a treat. It kind of puts the dog back in control of the first interaction they have with strangers, which can sometimes help anxious dogs, rather than strange hands suddenly trying to touch them. Our dog will never be the most social creature, but she will let people touch her now.

I'm sure if you call your vet and voice your concerns they will be able to tell you a time that the vets office will be quieter so you don't get too stressed as well, at our vets once we arrive and let them know at the front desk we can go outside away from all the people in the reception area and wait and the vet will come and fetch you when it's your turn. Just be honest about your own limitations when you call and I'm sure they'll be happy to accommodate to ensure your dog gets what he needs.

7. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

No your not in trouble, phone your vet make an appointment explain that you have a nervous dog, they will then be able to sort things out with you. It's quick and easy to do and shouldn't hurt him, it's not much more than having his yearly booster.

If you really are worried about going out, please don't get yourself upset it wont do either of you any good, I know how bad panic attacks can be, see if you can find a vet who does home visits, it will cost you more but may be better for both of you.

8. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Squeezy cheese in a tube is a fabulous distracting tool for dogs who are nervous at the vet - you can just keep gently squeezing tiny amounts for him to lick and keep him occupied while the vet does what he needs to do.

mrs phas likes this.
  9. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

If you don't know how to take him to the vet, then I'm guessing he isn't registered with one so they won't even know how long you have had him. You won't get fined for complying with a legal requirement. Don't worry!

10. CuddleMonster

CuddleMonster PetForums VIP

I agree with @Happy Paws that it might be worth trying to find a vet who will do a home visit. Or asking if a friend or family member can take the dog in for you. If you are calmer, your dog will feel calmer too! You won't get into trouble for not having your dog chipped - just get it sorted now you are aware it needs to be done.

But it would be really worthwhile for you to get some help on dealing with your social anxiety. It's a horrible thing to have to live with and so limiting. There are so many different things available now that can help, and it would be worth looking into even if it made things just a little better, as then you would have more flexibility about walks and wouldn't worry so much if you had to be somewhere where you might bump into someone.

Happy Paws2 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice