Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Microchip question

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jk88, May 25, 2020.

1. Jk88

Jk88 PetForums Newbie

Hello we collected our puppy a few days ago, we were told by the seller that she has had her first injection and has been microchipped, but she had Mislaid the paperwork, she would look for it and send it on, I have messaged her twice now to see if she has found the information and I have had no response.

my question is.

does anyone know the procedure to change microchip details (although I have no information) if she had been chipped at all?

we can start again with the jabs so not too worried there.

Any help would be great, thanks

#1 Jk88, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
  2. Pricivius

Pricivius PetForums Junior

Get your dog scanned at the vets. The microchip number will tell you which company the dog is registered with. Get in touch with them and see what they say. I would hazard a guess that your dog is not chipped, though - what breeder loses the paperwork and then ghosts you? But hopefully I’m wrong.

Happy Paws2, Sarah H, Torin. and 3 others like this.
  3. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

True . . . I'd be bending over backwards to solve the problem. Sounds iffy; unless, of course, giving her the benefit of the doubt, she's been taken ill. If she has lost chip and vax details for one pup, it's likely she has lost it for the whole litter as you imagine she wold keep the whole lot together.

Torin., Lurcherlad and Jk88 like this.
  4. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

You can get her scanned at the vets and get her chip number and the database it belongs too. You can then change the details yourself, although there is a disclaimer about if the old owners get in touch, but that's unlikely. Do you know the name of the vets they used? If she's been vaccinated there will be a record at the vets. And with injections there are different brands so you will need to make sure the vets are using the same stuff as she was already done with.

Lurcherlad, Torin. and Jk88 like this.
  5. Jk88

Jk88 PetForums Newbie

Sarah H, unfortunately no we don’t know what she was given, this was part of the information we were told would be sent via text / email as the documents were mislaid

I’m starting to get the feeling none of it has been done at all although she has provided the brands and dates the flea and worms were done (written on paper) Are there different brands of immunisations?

6. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Yes there are different brands. Some are compatible some aren't. I'd contact the breeder again asking if you can get the vaccination info because you need to know what brand of vaccine the pup needs, and that if you don't get the info you will be informing the council because it's the law to have pups chipped by the breeder and you have no proof. Maybe give them an incentive to get their arse in gear. You have their address so you can give the council this information. They also need to declare any income they've had from selling the pups (if it's over £1000) to HMRC. I know it's not really your business but letting them know you are serious might get you somewhere.

Torin. likes this.
  7. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

You should get proof of vaccination, we had from both the breeders we had our dogs from a little vets record book with the stamp of what vaccine they were give, so you should be able to find out who the vet was.

8. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

The only problem with vets (and others) is that they are so limited about what information they will give because of GDPR. But they can scan and say, if applicable, no, there is no chip. It rather sounds as tho' there might not be.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  9. Dawnh20

Dawnh20 PetForums Newbie

Can you feel the chip? I can easily locate the one my cat has, feels the same shape as a grain of rice but a tad bigger

10. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I'd contact trading standards, and then message her to tell her you've done so; also tell her you'll be in contact with HMRC to make sure she pays any tax due on the profits from the litter. Especially if it turns out the pup isn't chipped.
    Though chips can pop out. I had my litter of 6 microchipped at a local vet. One chip came out when we were still there (was replaced with a fresh one by the vet), and when I was checking the chips at home to get the right number on their paperwork (I have my own scanner), found another had vanished, so had to take the pup back.
    When you chip a pup, you're given a form with change of owner bits to fill in, then send off.

11. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

The breeder should be able to get a replacement vaccination certificate of their vet and if the chip was done by the vet they should be able to confirm the company the pup was chipped with and the chip number to the breeder to give to you

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice