Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Microchip identification for pets

Discussion in 'Pet News' started by Hollie Humphreys, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Hollie Humphreys

Hollie Humphreys PetForums Newbie

I recently adopted a cat from this local animal shelter in our area and it’s my first time owning a pet. My friend said that I should have it implanted with a microchip for identification purposes just in case it gets stolen or lost. She even recommended this clinic with vets Chichester based that can help with this. It seems like a good idea, but I’d love to know more about pet microchips first before pushing through with it. If anyone’s tried it before, I’d appreciate if you can tell me its pros and cons. Thanks!

Natacha3 likes this.
  2. danielled

danielled PetForums VIP

You mean besides the fact it’s a legal requirement?

3. Animalfan

Animalfan PetForums Member

I may be wrong but I think it’s only a legal requirement for dogs at the minute. Nevertheless, its the right way to go. Its implanted just like giving an injection, the chip itself is the size of a grain of rice so its just a quick and easy trip to the vets.
    Should your cat ever be lost, stolen or God forbid injured whilst out and about the vet he is taken to will be able to contact and reunite you both. Thumbs up for adopting too x

4. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

@Hollie Humphreys: I'm very surprised indeed that any rescue would rehome any cat (or rabbit/ferret) without microchipping it. For what it costs, a few quid, just get it done - then you are in with a sporting chance if your new pet disappears!! Just remember if you move house or change mobile number to update the microchip company so you are still contactable. Even an ''indoor cat'' can often get out and get lost; we've had a few of those on here.

kimthecat likes this.
  5. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

Not in cats.

Animalfan likes this.
  6. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I can't think of any ''cons'', to be honest.

7. danielled

danielled PetForums VIP

Oh well luckily a forum this size can make them make it legal in cats as well as dogs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice