Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Microchip feeder. What do you think I should do?!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by H.M, Feb 21, 2021.

1. H.M

H.M PetForums Junior

So I found someone selling a microchip feeder for £35. I bought one already for the eldest cat, kisu, to prevent Oreo from eating all her food. I waited before buying Oreo one to see if I can buy a second hand one. But the seller is in greenwich and I'm in Croydon. Is it okay or allowed for me to travel that distance for a microchip feeder? I was thinking it could be animal welfare because if Danbi eats Oreo's food he will get an upset tummy as Oreo sometimes gets different food to Danbi's. I really want and need to get this feeder as Oreo needs it and I can't afford a brand new one, but I don't want to be fined if they don't think it is animal welfare (which I believe is).

What are your thoughts?

2. Jenbob21

Jenbob21 PetForums Member

I've got no idea how far away those places are from each other but know they are both in London. Think you need to make your own call based on how you plan travel, and exchange cash and goods etc. Boris is meant to be updating us more this week, but in reality the chances of your trip being queried by police etc is next to none I expect. If you're worried, make the trip as part of your weekly shop?

Basically I think if you scrutinise the guidance the answer would be no, but in reality nobody will stop you?!

Not my personal opinion, just reality of what I have observed

H.M likes this.
  3. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I would never buy a second hand feeder to feed my cats. That's so icky. Really you're taking a lot of risk. If it doesn't work, you're out of luck. Not to mention the ick factor. What cat wants to eat out of something that smells like a strange cat?

How much are you saving anyway? How much will it cost you to drive there and back?

Put a little by each week until you have enough for new.

#3 lorilu, Feb 22, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    H.M likes this.
  4. H.M

H.M PetForums Junior

Thank you. That does make a lot of sense. I've decided to not go and just buy him a new one when I can.

I feel quite stupid now :Banghead:Banghead:Banghead

5. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Nothing wrong with secondhand. You've heard of hot water and soap right, not to mention bleach??
    They cost £80 new but I agree the extra cost of petrol/diesel on top plus Greenwich is probably in the congestion zone any saving will be wiped out unless they post it or you live within walking distance.

@H.M go onto cats protection. Surepet are one of their partners and you can buy a new microchip feeder with a decent discount. Open to everyone not just low income folk.

Arny, lorilu and H.M like this.
  6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Of course I have "heard of" soap and water, but I would never use bleach on something the cats were going to eat out of, in addition bleach degrades plastic very quickly. Vinegar would be more appropriate.. Soap and water (and vinegar) may or may not eliminate the smell of a previous cat. Cats have super sensitive olfactories after all.

It's a personal preference, I won't use anything second hand in regards to my cats. The smell of strange cats creates stress, in my opinion.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice