Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Microchip a cat

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Lucy Gu, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Lucy Gu

Lucy Gu PetForums Newbie

I have a little kitten, she is about 14 weeks old. I am wondering whether or not I should get her a microchip? Anyone have any advice.

2. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

Definitely !

Most vets will insert the microchip at the same as they neuter, around 4 months old.

3. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

Yes! Doesn't matter whether she's going to be an indoor cat or outdoor, just do it in case she gets out and lost.

It's not much different than a regular injection.

With our first cat, I got the chip done with his first vaccinations at around 12 weeks rather than waiting for neutering, as I was concerned about him getting out.
    There are different brands, so the vet used one which was slightly smaller (and possibly a little more expensive, I don't recall), but it didn't hurt him. He flinched more having the vaccination injection.

4. Lucy Gu

Lucy Gu PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your reply. I heard of microchip migrating and cancer risk, which was scary.

5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I would say it is essential to have them micro chipped infact I would go as far as to say it should be a legal requirement.
    Meeko was chipped when he had his vaccinations .

spotty cats likes this.
  6. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

As far as I'm aware, those risks are very tiny.

The vet should be checking that the microchip is working each year at the annual vaccination and check up, so if it has moved they can sort it out. Most commonly it'll stay under the skin and just move to a different area of the body - perfectly harmless. I think they usually just put a new chip in the neck and link both chips in the system.

I'd not heard of them causing cancer - do you have a link to a study at all, or was it just something you heard or read somewhere?

I suspect it's more of a theoretical risk - like the fact that lettuce is technically slightly carcinogenic to humans, but actually you'd need to eat loads of it daily to raise the risk to a point where it's statistically relevant, that the benefits of eating a lot of salad outweigh the risk by a long way.

chillminx likes this.
  7. Jen8971

Jen8971 PetForums Member

I would consider the microchip essential. My vet appealed to my protective instinct and told me to wait until Ash is neutered to get it done because it's 'a big needle and she feels mean doing it to small kittens when she could wait until he gets anaesthetic'. I immediately went "oh my poor boy let's wait". He is getting it done in August with neutering but I am constantly slightly worried he will get out and isn't chipped!

I have never read of it causing cancer but even if it did I would say the risks of cancer caused by a chip are probably less than the risk of losing your cat, I would still get it done even in those circumstances.

8. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Yes they can migrate, it's rare. They don't cause cancer.

spotty cats likes this.
  9. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

Definitely would for peace of mind.
    I've had tiny 400g ferrets microchipped and they don't look twice but for cats it does seem to be often done while they're neutered.

10. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

I would definitely have her chipped when you have her neutered.
    Micro chipping is important. If she gets lost she can be returned to you. Even if she is a house cat or in a cat proof garden things can still happen.
    Only a few days ago one cat went missing from the carrier at the vets.

11. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Absolutely, no question. It's law where I live but we have always chipped our kittens before adoption anyway, usually at 10-12 weeks during neutering but even when done awake they don't notice.

Migration is rare, though it doesn't affect function.
    So many stories of lost cats reunited because of their microchip, just be sure to keep details current should you move or change phone numbers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice