Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Micro Chip is Important To Your Pet

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Rebecka Rilee, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Rebecka Rilee

Rebecka Rilee PetForums Newbie

A microchip is a small, rice shaped transponder that has a unique number embedded in it. It is inserted into the animal's skin with a needle, usually between the shoulder blades, by a vet. The number can be read at a certain frequency and is picked up using a special hand-held scanner. Once identified, the number links directly to a database which brings up details of the owner and their address and contact details. Vets, animal shelters and emergency clinics, all have scanners to identify any lost or stolen pets.
    A pet microchip is an essential tool in preventing your pet from becoming lost or stolen. Animals, especially cats and dogs, have a tendency to wander off if unsupervised and it is extremely easy to lose your pet or to have him/her stolen. Since animal shelters and veterinary clinics have scanners to identify micro chipped animals, it is likely that if you do lose your pet, it will be returned to you quickly. If you have any question or doubt about this, you can post here :)

Anele Jessica likes this.
  2. Hi Rebekka!
    I do microchip all mine, but still - its not always working.
    Friend of mine accidentally let her very valuable Foundation stud cat out, he was microchipped. They also loved that boy very much! they were heartbroken....The've done everything: neighbours, adverts everywhere, posts, Vets, Internet,...you name it. Thet were constantly on the phone to all RSPCA's within some 100 miles...They even visited some of them. They were popping every day to see if there any new cats in the closest RSPCA....they told that there no such as microchiopped cats arrived....Finally she insisted to go and have a look around that RSPCA herself and....there HE WAS!!!! We all just could not beleive it - how and why he was hidden and not declared to him rightful owners, being described and microchipped....

3. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

I have all my dogs micro chipped and thats for peice of mind hoping they will be retured to me if one or more should break out *touch wood* They won't

ps, One of my english bull terriers won her microchip at a charity dog show, i entered her in the naughtiest dog competition and she won lmao, She won her microchip a big bag of food and a certificate hehe. :D

4. So why she is naugh:Dtiest?

5. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

She gets to excited around other dogs, when my daughter took her into the ring with the other dogs they all had to walk around in circles for the judges to judge the naughtiest dog, Because other dogs was present, my eng bully got excited and started pulling into the other dogs, jumping on them to play and made all the other dog owners behind her sorta bump into eachother lol, she caused big chaos in the ring so she won as the naughtiest dog :D

6. Bless - must been fun to watch!

7. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

my dogs are microchiped, but many vets dont check animals on visits so if someone stole my dog they may never be caught.

8. Exactly. And if found - but someone wants to have it ...........

9. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

they should be scanned as routine, especially if someone is new or comes in with a new pet

10. yes - and microchip number stored in the pet's data.

11. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

I just wish the vets thought this way

12. but the ways they are thinking lately - just to make a profit and sell a new products, like SOME useless vaccines or crap food

13. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

its a shame its so much to do with money these days, something needs to change

14. Magik

Magik Guest

money rules and always will... it's just the way of society!! I would sell my granny!!!

15. Will you sell Bullyb too?!

16. Magik

Magik Guest

No..... why do you want to buy her?

17. What I am going to do with her?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice