Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

mice!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by addey, Nov 23, 2012.

1. addey

addey PetForums Newbie

I've been catching 2-3 mice a week in my shed using a traditional basic trap that snaps on to their neck. Up till now i've been chucking them in the field next door where I assume they get eaten by cats/birds/whatever finds them. What I'm wondering is if they would be safe to give to Monty as a tasty snack?! Are they likely to be carrying any nasty germs that might be harmful to dogs? Has anyone else fed mice to their dog??

2. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I personally wouldnt do it, simply because you have no control over what they have eaten prior to being caught, if they have consumed mouse/rat poison for instance it would be eaten by your dog.

3. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

My dogs will dig up and eat voles but i'm not sure i'd deliberately feed them wild mice. I'd be tempted to feed farmed ones intended for reptiles, but not wild ones.

4. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

I feed my boys mice and rats as treats BUT i buy them frozen for the snakes so i know they haven't ingested any poisons etc

5. Jochan

Jochan PetForums Junior

We live on the edge of farmland and had mice in our house a while back. The problem was quite bad and we had to get a professional in to sort it out. I was horrified to find out that wild mice can carry Salmonella, Typhus, Leptospirosis and Rat Bite Fever and meningitis among other diseases, quite apart from any poison they may have ingested. I definitely wouldn't feed it to my dog and don't think I could recommend anyone feeding one to theirs either. Better safe than sorry eh.

6. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

Wild and bred mice are very different though ;)

7. GermanShepardOwner

GermanShepardOwner PetForums Senior

You dont know what the mice have previously eaten, if they've been ill etc. your better off throwing in the field for other wild animals to eat, if you want to give them as a snack i would buy them from frozen from pet food shops.

8. addey

addey PetForums Newbie

Thanks for all the replies guys, I will continue to throw them in the field and feed the local wildlife!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice