Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Mice cages.

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by petlover1999, Oct 28, 2012.

1. petlover1999

petlover1999 PetForums Newbie

I have had many rabbits, hamsters and guinea pigs, but never mice. I was just wondering what sort of cages were best, whether metal, plastic or both :) x

2. holly1

holly1 PetForums VIP

I would say glass.They would chew on the metal bars.It would drive you mad,with the noise.:rolleyes::

They may squeeze through the bars.Plastic would stink after some time,once it gets worn.They would chew though certain plastics,and may burrow out:D

3. peter0

peter0 PetForums VIP

I'd vote plastic personally. All mine are in barred plastic cages and i've never had a problem with chewing or smelling and it gives brilliant ventilation and more opportunity to hang things:)

Good cages for mice are

Barney pet cage from Zooplus

Alexander cage from Zooplus

Ferplast Kios from Zooplus

Kevin 82 from EquineCanineFeline

Igor cage from EquineCanineFeline

Or you could use a ZooZone 2 and mesh the lid or just a normal tank.

You can use Jenny rat cages for older mice but check they can't squeeze through first but just make sure there are lots of things to brake any falls like hammock etc.

4. AnnB

AnnB PetForums Member

Everyone will have their own preference but I keep my mice in barred cages with plastic bases. My mice like to climb the bars and when they're in a tank style cage they just jump up at the meshed roof all the time and I worry about them falling. The ventilation is better too in a barred cage - mice can suffer from respiratory infections. One thing you do have to watch in a barred cage is the spacing between the bars because small mice can sometimes squeeze through normal hamster cage bars.

Only one of my male mice has ever spent any time chewing the bars of his cage and although the others will have the occasional nibble at some of their plastic toys, none have ever nibbled their way out of a cage.

5. mices4

mices4 PetForums Member

Mine are in the Kevin 82 extra narrow:
    Cages : Kevin 82 Extra Narrow Bar Hamster & Mouse Cage : www.EquineCanineFeline.com the place to buy all your Pet Products, Horse Products and Pet Supplies online

Not the cheapest out there, the Barney is also great, but the Kevin has a bigger door.
    The bar spacing is 7mm (as are the Barney and the Kios) , so no worries at all about escapes. They don't chew the bars. They chew egg boxes, willow toys etc but not the bars.
    The cage is also very easy to clean.
    I did have the mice in a Habitrail Ovo suite but it wasn't big enough - as others have said , mice love to climb - and I couldn't catch them to get them tame, cos they'd just run into the next pod.

Glass tanks can also be ok as long as it's big enough and there are plenty of things in there for the mice to climb on, but the ventilation isn't as good.

Attached Files:

6. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

I would say barred cages are better because you can hang more toys and they have more climbing space.

Mice don't bar chew if there is enough for them to do, in fact I have never had a single bar chewer here. And so long as there is a good cleaning routine in place there is no reason why plastic will smell.

7. petlover1999

Thank you all for your input :) I have considered everything all of you jave said and o think i might go with a metal cage x I will may
    be add some links of cages soon x

8. salemsparklys

salemsparklys PetForums Senior

Kios from zooplus is an excellent cage and at a very good price:)

9. mices4

mices4 PetForums Member

of the two, def the first one, but it doesn't say what the bar spacing is, so email them to ask.
    The second one looks a bit claustrophobic lol.

Always go for the biggest footprint you can afford :)
    I agree the Kios is a good option at a great price as long as you don't mind the doors being a bit small

10. petlover1999

11. AnnB

AnnB PetForums Member

I have a Savic Bristol for one of my single male mice. The bar spacing isn't as small as 7mm but he's a fairly small mouse and has never escaped. It's a nice cage and that seems like a good price.

12. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

I used to keep mice in glass tanks but I found that mice in barred cages are happier and more active. I have never had a mouse chew the bars except the occasional nibble. I have three Kios cages now and each containing four male mice and these are great. They were all under £30 and included accessories!!

If you want a bigger group then I would recommend the Alexander out of my own experience. But the others mentioned are meant to be great....I just have no experience with them.

The two you found I am not too keen on. The top one is ok for a single mouse but a bit of extra space in the Kios will be appreciated :)

13. mices4

mices4 PetForums Member

I think you need to get away from the hamster thing.
    It looks ok, although I can't see the dimensions or the bar spacing info.
    However, the ramps and tunnels look like they are fixed, and I can tell you from experience, this will make catching your mice tricky and make cleaning the cage harder. Best to get something more open that you can get your hands in better, and fill with your own selection of toys and move them around as you feel like.

14. salemsparklys

salemsparklys PetForums Senior

The prices of the last one you could buy a Kios and still have cash for some toys, have more space and be able to change the cage around as you like.

15. peter0

peter0 PetForums VIP

If you're looking for a cheaper cage then the best cage you can get is the Ferplast Kios. It's cheap, good sized and just a good cage:)

16. mices4

mices4 PetForums Member

How many mice will you have? I got the Kevin cos I have six, but if you have fewer, you will be fine with a Kios. Or get two and connect them :)

17. petlover1999

@mices4, i am getting 2-3. My mum has personal experience as she used to breed them and sell them to pet shops locally, i just wanted to get you's guys advice x i have about £30-40 for a cage and then some money for toys and stuff :)

18. mices4

mices4 PetForums Member

Sounds good. Sounds like the Kios will be your best bet, then get them a decent wheel. You can find lots of things for toys that don't cost anything, like egg boxes, loo roll tubes, bits of wood (not evergreen, but willow etc).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice