Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Metal or Plastic?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by JayLib, Apr 14, 2011.

1. JayLib

JayLib PetForums Member

Quick question....

With a crate do you think a metal or plastic base is better?

I'm thinking plastic - don't know why but just seems safer?!? - however I have read that actually they might not be best as they can be chewed and could crack?

2. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

Our is a metal crate (Salvic), it has a metal base to the bottom and a plastic tray within the base, (If that makes sense ! We have had no problems with Millie or Makita in term of chewing the base.

Maybe we have been lucky although I alway remove collars when going in the crate as I am petrified of Makita getting caught up (He is that silly a loofy haha)

#2 Milliepoochie, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  3. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

We have both, 3 of our dogs have crates..

Enzo has a plastic tray. (pug)
    Bella has a metal tray. (English bull terrier)
    And
    Dexter also has a metal. (English bull terrier cross) :)

We have had no problems with either and they have lasted a very long time.
    Collars are taken off when inside and no crates have ever been chewed/cracked. As they have kongs and things to keep them occupied. :)
    They don't really get the chance to chew the bottom although could if they wanted too,as they have a foamy type cover that covers the tray (almost like a mini mattress) And blankets and things on top to snuggle under. :)

4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I've got a plastic bottomed one and ditto to what the 2 posters said above :D

5. BenMac

BenMac PetForums Senior

Personally...i've always found the metal tray ones are a lot more noisy than the plastic ones, when they move around.

Right now I'm using a med size Vari Kennel instead of a crate for Bailey and have a bigger cage type one put away for when he gets too big for it.

I find they're more "den like" for them :)

6. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I have a metal one, with a plastic base 'tray' which is great. I also have a crate cover on it, so it is like a nice, safe den. The only downside is that if Kilo drops some of his 'bedtime biscuit' (not a human one, don't worry!) he scrabbles about for crumbs and it makes a racket :rolleyes:.

7. JayLib

JayLib PetForums Member

I think it must be the sales patter of the ones I have read that have a metal bottom....

There is just SO much stuff out there and they all say different things which makes it difficult as you just want to do the best for them....

Don't remember it being like this years ago when Cleo was a Pup! Perhaps it's the good old health and safety craze we have nowadays that puts the fear into you... God help me when I have a human baby!!!!!!

8. JayLib

JayLib PetForums Member

Aha that's worth thinking about as he'll be in the bedroom with us...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice