Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Metacam

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by K94ever, Sep 16, 2020 at 11:39 AM.

1. K94ever

K94ever PetForums Newbie

I would like to know if there is anyone on the forum whose dog has reacted badly to Metacam whilst having it short term for just 7 days and if so did their loved one show adverse effects whilst taking the pain relief or caused problems later. Thank you.

2. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

My boy reacts instantly with Metacam, it really irritates his guts causing watery diarrhoea. Once stopped all side effects stopped but he can't tolerate any NSaids (inflammatory drugs) so we have to use other drug combinations for long term pain relief.

If your dog is reacting to Metacam then it's best to contact your vet so that they can prescribe another that your dog might do better on...Galliprant is a fairly new NSaid that many dogs don't react to so it might be worth mentioning :)

LinznMilly and MontyMaude like this.
  3. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

My Hector isn't great on it, he too get very loose stools, so he was prescribed Pardale as an alternative which he was fine on, but as @StormyThai best to discuss it with your vet.

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

2 of my 4 dogs have reacted badly to it. Ziggy got bloody colitis very quickly, but Kite was OK for a couple of days and then would become loose in the poo - both these dogs are no longer alive. The other 2 have never had it, so really every dog of mine that has had it has had an adverse reaction.
    This is only the liquid I'm talking about. Both Ziggy and Kite were given it by injection (by the vet) as a painkiller after being spayed, but they were both OK with it like that.

5. Rosie64

Rosie64 PetForums VIP

My dog reacted very quickly to Metacam with sickness and diarrhoes like @StormyThai he can not tolerate any of the NSaids it would seem ,
    so he is on Gabapentin and Galliprant for pain relief . Have a word with your vet there are many different one's you can try if one does not agree with your dog.

6. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

One of mine passed copious liquid blood after a day of having it. The other one and all past dogs have been fine. Why are you wanting to know. Not sure I like the term 'loved one' in this context. In fact I do not like the term at all but that is another story.

7. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Yes one of my collies has 'no Metacam' written on her veterinary notes.

8. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I have one who is fine with Metacam, and one who gets dreadful diarrhoea. The vet just gives him a different drug instead.

9. tabulahrasa

tabulahrasa PetForums VIP

Current foster started being sick after 3 days... left a few days gap and tried again, 3 days later - sick. We’ve switched to a different one Monday there and so far fine.

My previous actual dog seemed fine, ended up with a perforated ulcer, not warning signals due to other pain relief - had to have half his stomach and duodenum out, very nearly died... but it was after much much longer than 7 days though.

10. K94ever

K94ever PetForums Newbie

Oh dear that sounds worrying. Do you mean the dog was on Metacam longer than 7 days or the illness started lot longer after 7 days? 9 weeks ago our dog was on Metacam for 7 days after having teeth removed. He was fine at the time albeit he was also being treated for an ear infection which after all this time the vet was unable to get it under control. He developed a lump on his neck which they thought was lymph glands due to infection as a needle aspiration test was inconclusive. It’s a long story back and forth to vets every 2 weeks or so being given steroids and more antibiotics, creams, solution etc. Last Friday he stopped eating after coming off steroids and failed to start again once given more steroids. Blood work showed he was in stage 4 kidney failure and elevated liver and digestive markers. Sadly we had to say goodbye to him yesterday. The vet now feels the lump was a tumour which had spread to other organs but I am questioning everything and I know from experience and research when a previous dog was given Metacam for arthritis suffered colitis. He didn’t actually have arthritis but was the onset of lymphoma which we later lost him to.

11. tabulahrasa

tabulahrasa PetForums VIP

Ah no he was on it way longer than 7 days... um, he was 16 weeks old when he started on it and he was 2 1/2, 3 years? when the ulcer happened... he’d been on it all that time. So more than two years he’d been on it.

sorry, pretty irrelevant to your situation, was just adding it in there as I didn’t realise what your situation was.

12. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Beau reacted very badly to metacam so much so he's not to have it again. He was on it for 1 day

The vet who dealt with beau at the time said that if he reacts to metacam like he did it's highly likely he'd react to other meds within that group.

Bella had loose stools after ~4 days on it but nothing serious. Pebbles had no issue if I recall correctly.

Tbh I have never had a dog react as bad as beau did.

13. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear about your loss. I do not think there is any way that metacam could cause the problems you ae describing. It sounds like it was a very sad coincidence. I would not over think it, dogs sadly do get cancer just as people do.

Burrowzig likes this.
  14. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

The one of mine that had the more minor reaction to metacam was lost to cancer last month. I'm also looking back to late last year when Kite, an agility dog, suddenly pulled up at a jump and wouldn't take it - never done that before. I knew she'd landed wrong when playing ball a few days before, and put it down to that. Had the vet check her for a muscular injury, and she had a dog chiropracter look her over and neither could find anything wrong with her. She was getting back to normal when she slipped on mud, did the front-end splits and strained a shoulder (yelped and limped), so when she was finding it difficult to jump up onto my bed or into the back of the van, I thought that was the cause. It was lockdown then and the vets were closed to anything not immediately life-threatening anyway. I'm now thinking her cancer may have gone back as far as then, that she could have pulled up at that jump because she felt wrong inside, or lacking the energy to take it - but got used to it and adapted, and she looked great and was bright and happy. The vet said it could be lymphoma when finally diagnosed, as there were 2 different types of tumour on the scan. The trouble with lymphoma is that often the first symptom is organ failure, and the dogs try to carry on as normal and don't tell us how rotten they're feeling.
    Over-thinking it doesn't help anyone, though it's so hard not to look back and think if only this, that or the other had happened or been different we could have seen something that indicated cancer in the stage it was still treatable, and saved them. I know I do.
    And though metacam does have adverse side effects for many dogs, those a minority and cancer happens anyway; often if the vet can't find anything obviously wrong they'll prescribe metacam to alleviate pain to see if that makes any difference in the same way that parents of a miserable baby may give it a doe of calpol. It's the go-to remedy. As humans we are hard-wired to look for meanings, cause and effect. The storm came because the gods were angry; but there's no gods and the storm is just a meteorological phenomenon.

JoanneF likes this.
  15. K94ever

K94ever PetForums Newbie

Thank you for your kind words.

16. K94ever

K94ever PetForums Newbie

So sorry to hear about your dog and what you say interesting because that’s something we noticed too. On walks he would try and keep pace with our two younger dogs and stumble on occasions. A few months back he stumbled and fell quite badly. He also stopped jumping up on the sofa. He would take a little run at it popping his front feet up and then stand waiting for someone to pick his back legs up and park him on the sofa. So like yourself, looking back I think this was a gradual process which started sooner than we realised. I believe I mentioned we lost a dog previously to lymphoma and there were some similarities with the symptoms. Over the past few months we have been back and forth to the vets, nursed and cared for him with heaps and heaps of love but it always leaves you feeling like you didn’t do enough and you need to know the reason. But as you say you shouldn’t over think it because it can drive you mad and at the end of the day doesn’t bring them back. It’s better to try and remember and relive the good moments but it takes a little time for memories to stop being your enemy and start being your friend doesn’t it.

Burrowzig likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice