UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Pip was spayed on Monday and was given Metacam, to be administered daily for a week.

Could someone explain why she has this? Is it to reduce any swelling and pain she may experience?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,254 Posts
sorry can't help ................ never been given Metacam after a spay. How is she in herself?? they seem to bounce back so quickly after a spay.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Metacam is a non-steroidal anti inflammatory drug, it can be used to treat the symptoms of arthiritus, fever or as an analgesic

So your vet has more than likely prescribed this as pain relief, however not sure as to why? as usually now, dogs are given 24 hour pain relief, as it is not thought necessary after that.

Abi

·
Registered
769 Posts
Hi All

Pip was spayed on Monday and was given Metacam, to be administered daily for a week.

Could someone explain why she has this? Is it to reduce any swelling and pain she may experience?

Thanks
All I can say is my whippet X and my Lurcher X both have metacam which is a anti inflammatory as they have torn tendens and its a godsend!!!! It makes them more comfortable and feel much better!

G

·
It's cos your a worry wart :D
The vet gave you this to make sure you didn't go back before you are supposed too :yikes:
It will keep Pip more comfortable and reduce any swelling she may have. :)
Love you xxxxx

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is why you are a wonderful friend who I adore!

Yes, I am worrying about her but she is doing so much better than I expected! All breakfast gone today, couple of treats eaten and she even wanted to play ball before but forgot she was a bit sore so that didnt work!

Her wound are looks fine and clean which is great.

I was just concerned that the metacam would do more harm than good, but I must admit she hasnt yelped or had any swelling at all.

Love you too x

G

·
This is why you are a wonderful friend who I adore!

Yes, I am worrying about her but she is doing so much better than I expected! All breakfast gone today, couple of treats eaten and she even wanted to play ball before but forgot she was a bit sore so that didnt work!

Her wound are looks fine and clean which is great.

I was just concerned that the metacam would do more harm than good, but I must admit she hasnt yelped or had any swelling at all.

Love you too x
Metacam, is brilliant for short term use, Alf will have to be on it long term and I'm not happy about that.
Going to ask about alternatives tonight when he has his final Cartrophen injection

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess if we had our way our dogs would not have anything drug wise in their system. I hope vet is helpful ..... im sure you will put over what you want!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Yea alot of our clients think its a godsend, tis a good pain relief just make sure you dont give it on an empty stomach can cause ulcers and had a cat in the other day because owners kept giving it on empty stomach.

she sounds as though shes recovering well!:D

·
Registered
419 Posts
Chance has been given Metacam after her recent Op to pin her broken leg. When the first bottle ran out, she really suffered and we realised she was in need of the pain relief it brought. I bought another bottle and she has immediately settled back down.

I'm now halving the recommended amount as I don't want to run out again and leave her dry. So far she seems fine on this lower amount but I'm wondering how long it is safe to give such a solution? It will be three weeks last Monday since she started on it.

·
Registered
18,075 Posts
Chance has been given Metacam after her recent Op to pin her broken leg. When the first bottle ran out, she really suffered and we realised she was in need of the pain relief it brought. I bought another bottle and she has immediately settled back down.

I'm now halving the recommended amount as I don't want to run out again and leave her dry. So far she seems fine on this lower amount but I'm wondering how long it is safe to give such a solution? It will be three weeks last Monday since she started on it.
Oscar was on it for about 3 months. He suffered no side affects, and had regular blood tests. His last blood tests showed were all within normal range.

G

·

I think a lot of people have their dogs on it for years, it's not ideal but I don't think many dogs suffer any ill effects
NOAH Compendium of Animal Medicines: Metacam 1.5 mg/ml Oral Suspension for Dogs - Contra-indications, warnings, etc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.