Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Met a pit tonight

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Retri, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Retri

Retri PetForums Senior

Went round a mates house who has been telling me how he thinks his 'staffy' might actually be a pit x, I know they are out there and in pics I had seen of him he looks a little diferent to a staff in terms of face and ears, but when I got there I was greeted by an excitable little boy, that imo is a small staffy, hes not even knee high and in the flesh looks no different to most staffys about, I can only assume someone at some point has suggestd there is pit in there snd the owner has run with it.

I have never met a true pit, but I am under the impeession they are biggr than staffs and much wider?

The only thing that seems to back up the pit thing is his bark, ive not hesrd a staff that sounds like him and its more like a rottie bark

What are the chances of this dog havibg pit in there?

2. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

The chances are very small to non existent, especially if he's a small staff.

Alot of staffs have big/rottie barks harvey included. Staffs make just about every sounds/bark going!

eta- yes pits are taller then staffs and look nothing like them.

3. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

it's difficult to tell without a photo.

A PBT has a different shaped head to a staffy and they are quite a lot bigger, a PBT is about the size of a Labrador where as a staffy is about the size of a cocker/springer.

There's lots of PBT's where I live and you can easily tell them apart from the staffies :)

4. Retri

Retri PetForums Senior

I did think that, in pictures I saw he looked about lab size and seemed to have a squarer head, but as soon as I saw him in the fkesh I was pretty sure hes just a staff

5. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Are we talking american pitbull terriers?

ETA - when I think pitbull I think of a smaller dog than a lab. I suppose a large APBT could about equal a small lab, but its a stretch.

#5 ouesi, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2012
  6. MLB

MLB Guest

A pit-bull is a type of dog rather than a breed of dog and can very in looks. The American pitbull terrier is actually a lean dog and should not be stocky.For example i'd say Daddy & Junior (ceaser's dogs) are types of pitbull but I wouldn't say they were American pitbull terriers. They look more like American Staffordshire terriers, which I think is the show type pit. Mabe wrong but that is what I thought.

7. ouesi

ouesi Guest

You can (and many do) dual register their dogs as APBT and AmStaffs - one is a UKC breed and one is the AKC recognized version. There’s really not much difference in the show dog version between AmStaffs and APBT.

Like any breed though, those not breeding responsibly can produce all sorts of different messes that may or may not conform to the written breed standard.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice