Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Message to Sacramist, the photo of your cat Sophie

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by AnneMT, Aug 19, 2018.

1. AnneMT

AnneMT PetForums Newbie

Hello, I am so grateful that Sacramist uploaded the photo of poor Sophie in 2015. My cat's eye looked infected and treatment wasn't working for her. I put my little Dana down and am heartbroken. When I saw Sophie's swollen eye, I read through the thread. I was able to understand that a tumour really can grow within weeks. Thank you for sharing your story about Sophie, I am still in shock.

Sacremist likes this.
  2. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

Very, very sorry for your loss!

3. AnneMT

AnneMT PetForums Newbie

I had no idea that within weeks a tumour could grow like that. It looked like a simple eye infection but treatments weren't working. The side of her face was swollen and I felt terrible for her. The only comfort I got was reading about Sacramst's cat, Sophie, because the story was similar. I was so afraid of having made the wrong decision. I still question myself..

4. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

That is natural. But the ultimate kind and loving thing we can do for our darlings is letting them go before they suffer too much.
    You haven’t taken the decision lightly. You knew it was time to let her go in peace.
    It will take time to come to terms with it, the pain is still raw, of course.

Nyah626 and KoolK like this.
  5. tyg'smum

tyg'smum PetForums Member

I lost my cat Jim (age 19) to a tumour. He'd been to the vet three weeks before with a tummy upset, and had a thorough checkup, which showed nothing other than an inflammed bowel. On the Saturday, he was rubbing his eye: on the Sunday it looked as though the third eyelid was stuck paerway across his left eye. I took him to the vet on Monday. Jim had a inoperable brain tumour, and another growth in his eye, and a life expectancy of no more than three days. Euthanasia was the only answer (I tried to cuddle him for a last goodbye, but he was never a cuddly cat - three years later I still have the scar on my wrist from his farewell swipe.)

I hadn't realised that something so awful could develop so quickly. I could cry (and in fact did) for your little Dana, but you musn't blame yourself. You did the kindest thing you could, which was to let her go.

6. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

I’m so sorry to hear about little Dana and I’m glad Sophie’s story has helped you to understand how terribly fast a tumour can grow and hopefully help you to come to terms with your loss.

It’s easy to mistake a weeping eye as conjunctivitis which is what both we and our vet did. I will never take a weeping eye lightly again.

Trixie1 likes this.
  7. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

I
    I’m so sorry for your loss.

tyg'smum likes this.
  8. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I'm really sorry you've lost your friend

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice