Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Mess in the night

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by ukgray, Nov 26, 2012.

1. ukgray

ukgray PetForums Newbie

Hi all, we have just had a dog bought for us by my daughters Dash is a lovely jrt/sheltie his owner gave him away because they have children and where never in to look after him.
    He is 11 months old my wife and I are in our 50s and have never had a dog before . Dash is a quiet dog plays with his toys and still mouths you with his teeth.He likes his walks lead only has he ran off and would not come back (but I caught him in the end phew ! ) I have never known such a quiet dog .
    He goes into the garden for a wee when we tell him but when we get up in the morning he has done number 2 on the carpet , we don't get annoyed and clean it up .
    He never lets us know i.e barking are crying he just does it by the back door we thought we would try puppy pads but he just rips them up .
    Can anyone help ?

2. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

A couple of suggestions. If it is a small dog, you could have a dog flap put in. It is obvious he is trying to get out because he does it beside the back door. The other thing is the obvious really, make sure you take him outside for toilet before you go to bed.

It is possible that they gave him up because they didn't have a clue how to housetrain him and it is also possible that he has been punished for waking them up, so he won't be doing that.

You might think about sleeping downstairs with him for a few weeks until he is settled and it will be easier for him to tell you if he wants to go. That is what I would do.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice