Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Mental Stimulation

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by goodvic2, Aug 14, 2009.

1. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions for any mental stimulation I can do with my dogs? Sammy in particular is very high energy, but suffers with a bad leg, so I want to be able to do something with him.

Any ideas would be great x

2. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

I play hide and seek with Sidney if I've not been able to give him enough physical exercise (have to cut walks short sometimes now cos Cromwell & Cooper struggle). I shut him out the room and hide a ball and make him search for it. Not sure it will work if you dog isn't that into balls though? You can do the old treat under the cup game. Or even just basic training exercises take alot of mental strain on some dogs. Do you do clicker training with your dogs? It's great when you can teach them touch, controlled tug games etc. I use clicker with Tiz because it works well for her, I go though the basics and then do more advanced stuff when she's being a nutty mare in the house!!

3. HighPr00

HighPr00 Banned

I play hide and seek but with treats.

4. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

mine are fit, So don't no if this help's or not But i hide thing's for mine, You can do it with them in a calm way as well as getting all excited I started off with treat's but i just do it with toy's now, It really has calmed Ben down. If i want to do some training with one I do put treat in bottle's and boxes with lid's on for the other 2 they love it. Not shaw if that's the sort of thing your looking for?. if not get back to me and i'll have another think:)

5. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Thanks guys, seems hide and seek is a favourite. I will give it a go x

6. Cassies-mum

Cassies-mum PetForums VIP

i was gona ask the same thing lol

7. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Hide and seek is great! Have you thought about making a jungle gym in your garden using cardboard boxes, old blankets made into forts, pillows and their favourite toys? Or would that be too much for his/her leg?

I made one for Sky to keep her busy as she's in season. Of course it's destroyed now but boy did she have fun, wish I'd got pics!! :D I hid treats everywhere too, it was like easter egg hunting!

Have you tried swimming? It's low impact and you can have great fun chucking tennis balls x

8. crazybones

crazybones PetForums VIP

how bout a tug-a-jug...... Or wot we do is get the roll out the middle of the toilet roll and put a treat in the middle and stuff the ends with bits of newspaper with treats in the middle of the to annd kya goes mad for it lol.... We also put a few treats in a shoe box but she got the hang of this quite easy so i used a shoe box with an attached lids that only opens one way and she finds this harder i hope i help if u want anymore ideas just ask im always thinking of new ones lol

9. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I have taught Dixie ''Smell, find it'' to get her to search for hidden things.
    I started off by putting her fave toy under the cushion on the couch, about nose height (while she was out the room) then directing her past it using the command. Then once she got the hang I put it places she had to search harder for, and eventually where it was hidden completely and she really had to use her brain and nose.

This is REALLY helpful when she cannot find the tennnis ball, as if asked to 'smell, find it' she will search and search in the long grass until she finds it :D

x

10. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Have them sniff out hidden toys/treats mine love it do some trick training maybe completely pointless but encourages them to think especially if you use a clicker.
    We got them to sit put the treat in front of their nose said scent put it a few feet away and told them to go get it. Slowly built it up until it was in other rooms etc.

11. Jekka

Jekka PetForums Junior

I don't know what it's called but you can get a sort of treat puzzle which has various compartments you put treats in and the dog has to work out how to get to them by solving little puzzles - my friend has to leave her dog home all day while she's at work and uses one of these to stop him destroying the house out of boredom. He loves it and acts like it's a new puzzle every time he uses it even though he must have worked it out by now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice