Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Mental lurcher

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Kenco1, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Kenco1

Kenco1 PetForums Newbie

Hi guys I'm new to this so please excuse me if I cock it up.
    I need some advice guys, I rescued a lurcher from my local cat and dog shelter 2 weeks ago and I must say he is lovely except for one thing, and that is he goes mental at about 4 am every morning now I was told it is caused through stress , could you tell me if this is right please and if so what can I do to try and calm it down.
    Or
    Any other advice I can get would be appreciated
    Thx guys
    K

2. Beth78

Beth78 PetForums VIP

How exactly does he go mental?
    What does he do ?

Torin. likes this.
  3. Kenco1

Kenco1 PetForums Newbie

It's like a play time for him running around the house bouncing on the furniture

4. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Early waking is either a habit (from previous environments) or more often quite simply that something has woken him and has got him going - as a lurcher I would think maybe something in your garden/outside? I know my dogs know if there is something in the garden in those early hours ......

Can't see why it would be stress - stress doesn't make you wake at 4am and run around the house bouncing off furniture imo.

You haven't had him long so I would give him time to get into a good routine. Where does he sleep? He needs somewhere where he won't be disturbed by garden/outside noises. If he wakes early then I would suggest no lights or long conversations just tell him to settle back down - be very calm and maybe find a chew he can amuse himself with. Don't give him attention or he will think 4am is morning!

Is he young?

J

5. Pammy Gsd

Pammy Gsd PetForums Junior

Anything going on outside the house , like wildlife visiting the garden , badgers foxes etc ?

Not sure if the dog came from abroad but that can account for the time difference

#5 Pammy Gsd, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  6. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Personally I would take it as a compliment as it's usually a sign that they are fit, well and happy. Buy 2-3 Kongs and stuff them with something nice (grated cheese for instance) and stick them in the freezer. If he's bouncing about at 4.00am give him a Kong to chew and he'll probably settle.
    I get up at 6.30am every morning, feed my dogs and let them out to toilet. I then make coffee and return to my comfy bed but my youngster does her very best to engage me in a game; grabbing a toy and jumping up me. If that doesn't work she'll try tugging on my dressing gown sleeve and failing that will try zoomies around the kitchen. I certainly don't encourage her at that time in the morning but it does make me smile.

O2.0, Lurcherlad and DaisyBluebell like this.
  7. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

When my Emma was a pup (Beddlington Whippet Lurcher) our regular play time was 4am every morning! Luckily it was spring/summer & I am an early morning person so it wasnt a problem. Lurchers are pretty mental to start with as they live to run & chase. Once you get a routine and give them a good run during the day things will reverse naturally. If your dog is still young with no recall you need to start work on that NOW so get yourself a long Biotherm lead to attach to his harness for recall training. Mental stimulation tires them as well as physical stimulation too.

O2.0 likes this.
  8. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

You must be firm but gentle with him, let him know it's not acceptable to be playing in the middle of the night, tell him to go back to bed and praise him when he settles. It may take some time, but it will pay off.

Kenco1 likes this.
  9. Kenco1

Kenco1 PetForums Newbie

Yes he's only 2 a naughty teenager

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  10. Kenco1

Kenco1 PetForums Newbie

11. Kenco1

Kenco1 PetForums Newbie

Thank you for the advice

12. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Just to let you know Dillon was nearly 4 before he grew out of teenager, then he still had his moments.:D

Kenco1 likes this.
  13. Kenco1

Kenco1 PetForums Newbie

Thank you to you all for the advice it's well received I've just spoke to the wife and after she sprayed the stuff for fireworks she had a good sleep last night .
    But she's just informed me hes starting to bite so I've ordered a muzzle to help get out of that one.
    Thanks again guys
    K

14. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Remember with a muzzle, you can't just put it on and expect him to be ok. Squeezy cheese smeared on it will help, and this video will be useful.

Torin. likes this.
  15. Kenco1

Kenco1 PetForums Newbie

Very interesting I'm watching it now
    Thank you
    K

16. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Starting to bite who/when? What sort of biting?

17. Kenco1

Kenco1 PetForums Newbie

It's like play biting and hes biting the wife who looks after him.
    It started when he was having a cuddle then when the wife is in the kitchen doing whatever he has a little bite of the ankles and calves
    Cheers
    K

18. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Certainly that's behaviour that needs dealing with but you can't just muzzle him all day. Have you trained a dog before? Do you go to a training class or see a trainer?

Why did he bite her when they were cuddling - did he not want to be cuddled? Are you crate training him or do you have a pen or baby gate setup to help with training?

Torin., Jamesgoeswalkies and JoanneF like this.
  19. Kenco1

Kenco1 PetForums Newbie

Dont plan to muzzle him all day it's like a play bite not a full on bite but it concerns the wife so needs sorting.
    We think it's something to do with attention seeking as we dont know anything about his short life hes only 2 and he was in the shelter for two months then another shelter before that.
    It's just little things like this that need sorting and he will be a fantastic dog that I have.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice