Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Meningitis in dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Yorkiemorkiemum, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Yorkiemorkiemum

Yorkiemorkiemum PetForums Senior

Has anyone out there had any experience of meningitis in a dog? Our 19 month Morkie has been diagnosed with it and is under the care of the university of Liverpool animal hospital. We don't know if its immuno-response or viral at the minute but when I've googled it all I see is bad news.:(

2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Give Dogless a nudge - she has recently been through it with one of her dogs, and I'm sure she'd be happy to share experiences with you. Really sorry to hear your little one is poorly - everything crossed for a swift and full recovery xx

3. Yorkiemorkiemum

Thanks sixstar how do I nudge someone? New to this stuff

4. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Sorry, I didn't mean literally, there isn't a nudge button :D

I'll drop Dogless a line and ask her to pop over if she can :)

5. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

The OP PMd me sixstar on your recommendation; I am happy to offer any help needed and thanks for drawing my attention to this thread :).

6. Yorkiemorkiemum

Thanks sixstar only realised what you meant after I had sent the reply! Think my brain has turned to mush!!

7. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

#7 Dogless, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  8. Yorkiemorkiemum

Thankyou so much for pointing me in the direction of that thread. It really has cheered me up no end. All the same symptoms as my Morkie too! He started with lethargy following his injection, then developed a stiff and sore neck. He then responded really well to treatment. Then five weeks later it started again but in his back end, he neck began to get sore again at the end of last week. The neurological team want to make sure he doesn't relapse. Thanks again I might get some sleep now!

9. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Hope you slept well and that your boy is still doing well this morning.

10. Yorkiemorkiemum

We are awaiting news. Unfortunately the neurologist is a 'no news good news' person not like the weekend staff. My other half is going to ring them if we don't hear anything by mid afternoon today. Because we can't go to see him its really difficult situation.

11. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I can imagine; best to ring really to set your minds at rest. Wish I could be of more help, I know how horrible it is :(.

12. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Glad you have at least got some answers at last.....hoping that your little lad is soon on the way to recovery

13. Yorkiemorkiemum

Good News!!! Denzil could be home in a couple of days. Hubby rang and he's more confident, eating and walking well. They just want to do a few more tests but they'll let him home with meds. Can't believe it! Thanks to everyone for they're positive vibes I'm sure it helped!!:D

14. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Oh, that really is excellent :thumbup1:. I am so pleased :).

15. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Wonderful news :)

16. Yorkiemorkiemum

I have just been researching the side affects of Advocate, which I use every month on both dogs, just to see if Denzil will ok with it when he comes out of hospital and found that it can cause neurological problems, lack of muscle co- ordination salivation ect. I had put it on a few days prior to him having his booster too. I think I need to have a chat with my vet about this stuff our older dog gets diahorea and vomiting after a couple of days of using it too!

17. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Well worth a chat; might even be worth mentioning you had used Advocate to the hospital if you hadn't already. Hope today brings more good news :).

18. Yorkiemorkiemum

Picking Denzil up from the hospital at five today! Can't wait but I am a little nervy given the state he was in last time I saw him. We have to take him back next week for a checkup. Thanks Dogless, I did tell them at the hospital about the Advocate as they asked about all that stuff last week. I do need to have a chat with them though because I'm not keen on using it now for either of my dogs, given that it give Sam Diahorrea anyway. The problem is that we pay £12 a month each for a care plan which includes the advocate but they're very nice there so I feel that I can talk to them about it. Thanks everyone I'll post a photo of Denzi when he is fully recovered.
    I can't thank you all enough for you're support you don't realise how positive it is!!

19. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

That is brilliant news - it will be such a relief to have him home :). I understand your nerves - Kilo lost all his muscle mass and 9kg in 6 days which was really upsetting; please don't be too disheartened if he still doesn't want to do much and looks skinny. It really took it out of Kilo completely yet a few months later you'd never know he'd been ill.

20. Yorkiemorkiemum

Yes can't wait but as you said I'm trying not to expect to much. He lost about half a kilo in all which isn't too bad considering the stories I've heard. I've got to mention Castellan Kennels in South Wales though because the breeder Tessa is one of the most forward thinking, caring breeders I've heard of. She has been emailing me with information and support ever since she heard about Denzil. She uses an holistic vet and has given me loads if advice and pointed me to a creditable holistic web site for humans and animals. As a registered holistic therapist myself and writer I want to get to the bottom of all this, not just for my dogs but for others too! I'm not the type of person who bleats on about natural remedy's at the expense of essential medical care or put my animals at risk for the sake of a principle BUT in the past I have used TTree oil as a flea and tick repellent and it worked! My daughter, whose a staff nurse, said this morning that she couldn't understand why I had changed. We couldn't get our old Yorkie insured because he was allergic to everything especially ticks and couldn't have chemicals on his skin, even flea shampoo. So I used evening primrose shampoo (naturals from Pets at Home) and would pop a few drops of TTree on his neck. Sorry on my soap box but I even massage my older dogs back and legs with a small amount if Arnica gel (making sure its rubbed in and they can't lick it of course) for a touch of arthritis due to a broken nail, which made him hobble for months. He can't tolerate anti inflammatory a of any sort, he get bad diahorrea.
    When we were offered this care plan at companion care, which is really good value, we jumped at the chance. I think I doubted myself when our old dog died last year and all this has been an overreaction I suppose. You think you doing the best thing for your dogs but is it the right thing? I really don't know.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice