Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Memory that brought a tear to my eye

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Pupcakes, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Pupcakes

Pupcakes Lady of The Terrors.

Hey everyone,

Sadly at the beginning of the year one of my residents died, a wonderful lady, who was the first female mayor of Bath, a very generous, selfless, intelligent ,kind, giving lady who gained an MBE for all her hard work.

She had very bad dementia and spoke very well and used wonderful words, but none of what she said made any sense.

Other residents and their families used to say she was "crazy" and think she was annoying because she spoke so much about everything.

I attended her funeral on Tuesday morning and remember one afternoon when I brought Charlie back into work after my morning shift on a Sunday afternoon. She called Charlie to go into her lap and he did, put his head in the crook of her arm and dozed off.

She stroked his head and told me how he was her dog who she had had for many years since he was a puppy. Not true of course, but Charlie was so happy and content in her arms and she was so happy to be cuddling him. He couldn't give two stuffs whether she had her full mind or not and she loved him without question too.

I have photos of them together on my phone and it just breaks my heart to see such a sweet scene.

It really made me well up at how happy dogs make us, how they never judge us, how they can see straight through us and just by looking at us can light up our day.

xxx

#1 Pupcakes, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  2. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

What lovely memories you have.

How lovely that those few moments with Charlie could have meant so much to you & her.

I know with my two that they can (& do) make for the best moments in my days :)

3. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

What a lovely memory; dogs do have a magical ability to bring peace and happiness xx.

4. Longton Flyball

Longton Flyball PetForums Senior

So sorry to hear about your resident :(

Duke was brilliant with all the dementia and learning disability residents when I worked in care homes. He didn't care as long as he was being fussed big baby :)

5. BeagleOesx

BeagleOesx PetForums VIP

The unconditional love that our furbabies give is just so special it is amazing. It's nice that you can remember her with Charlie and that moment she had with him will have brightened up her day more than anything else.

RIP dear lady x

6. Pupcakes

Just like Charlie!

Not to mention all the free crumbs on the floor...:thumbup:

xxx

7. Longton Flyball

Longton Flyball PetForums Senior

Hmm Duke not bothered by the crumbs but Clover would've loved them.

All Duke wanted to do was just lie next to them and be loved oh and not get run over by a wheelchair :rolleyes:

8. Pupcakes

LOL!

Charlies ears must have been burning as he woke up and brought himself to sleep at my feet!

Very clever these dogs...

xxx

9. Superash

Superash PetForums VIP

[FONT. What a lovely touching story :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice