Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Memories

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rona, Aug 9, 2020.

1. rona

rona Still missing my boys

When you think back, what are your main memories?
    I have a few bad memories but they don't come to the fore when I think back, mainly happy memories come out, I'm pleased to say.
    I was talking to my friend about this this morning and his are his bad memories. He only seems to think of the happy times when I or another friend reminds him. That must be very sad and difficult

bordie likes this.
  2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Interesting question. I often try and look forward not back. A lot of mine aren’t great at the moment but I’m working through a lot of stuff. I hope the happier memories come back.

Mum2Heidi and rona like this.
  3. rona

rona Still missing my boys

That's my philosophy too, but my friend has no forward and as I get older and my faculties fail, forward doesn't hold much joy

I think happy memories get more prominent the further away you are from them

Mum2Heidi likes this.
  4. Bisbow

Bisbow PetForums VIP

Most of mine are good memories. a few not so good like most of us and I try to think forward, though at nearly 80 I wonder haw much forward I have left. I have had a happy life on the whole so I can't complain (although I do sometimes)
    A fair amount of life left I hope and I need to get my monies worth out of my new hip before I pop off :)

Mum2Heidi, SbanR, Magyarmum and 2 others like this.
  5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I have a few memories of the bad things I’ve had to deal with in life but I do try to focus on the good.

At nearly 60 I’m more intent on making more happy memories and making the most of the life OH and I have left with DS.

rona and Mum2Heidi like this.
  6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I have a lifetime of happy memories at my mental fingertips so to speak. I use them during times when I need a distraction such is being in the dentists chair or having an MRI. For instance, when in the dental chair I close my eyes and take myself on all the hikes and mountain climbs I can remember going on with my mother. Trips to the ocean too. From childhood through adulthood. That is usually sufficient but a couple years ago when I had to have an MRI, it wasn't enough so I went back to my earliest memory as a 3 year old and just remembered things one at a time until the procedure was over. It was quite fun and I was surprised at the memories that popped up. Some of them I can't think how I can remember them and wonder if some of these memories are actually memories of older brother and sister, and I've heard them talk about it and it became my memory.

Others are memories I find myself thinking of often for no specific reason

I tend to gloss over the not so great stuff when doing this. No one can live life without hurt.

#6 lorilu, Aug 9, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    rona, Mum2Heidi and Lurcherlad like this.
  7. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I tested myself. Thought of unhappy memories and each time a happy one shone through.
    I think it’s my coping mechanism - thank goodness!

8. HarlequinCat

HarlequinCat PetForums VIP

Mixed really, I remember some funny embarrassing thing I or my sisters did and enjoy reminding them!

Also bad memories have a habit of sticking, I have to concentrate hard on other things to let them go

Lurcherlad and rona like this.
  9. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I had a happy childhood, we didn't much and anything a really wanted I had to wait for Christmas, Birthdays or other special days in the year, I remember when I went out shopping on a Friday with Mom and having a drink in Littlewoods cafe, I could only have raspberry pop as Mom couldn't afford the extra 2d for a Coke, but they were happy days. I had very loving parents.

I have a loving husband, we have have our ups and downs but on the whole I've had a very happy 49 years together.

rona, HarlequinCat and Lurcherlad like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice