Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Memories

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Burrowzig, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Someone, the other day, asked me if I thought Kite knew she was Flossie and Fly's mother. I said of course she did. I had been thinking - before the question - if Kite ever remembered or looked back to the days when they were little sucking pups, and thought at all about the 4 I didn't keep. Those, she seems not to recognise at all when she meets up with them.

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Don’t you wish they could talk sometimes?

Elliot has seen his brother 3 times since they left their mother -at 6 months, 16 months, and last week at nearly 3 years old. Each time it’s been very obvious that they remember each other somehowA. The response is completely different to the way he responds to any other dog, even other wheatens. I think that’s pretty cool.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Kite met one of her litter brothers when they were about 8 months old - just co-incidence that we were at the same agility show. They definitely remembered each other. She'd never played with another dog the same and really only plays with Fly and Flossie now. Sometimes she just looks on with a rather indulgent expression when they twins play with each other.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Poppy met her mother and sister at a show about 6 months after we got her. I don't think her mother remembered her as she snapped at her but her owner said that was the way she was with all dogs.

Honey seems to know that Nancy is her daughter but they have always been together Sally doesn't appear to know that Daisy is her daughter in fact Daisy will just shove her mother out of the way but her dad Teddy will play with Daisy but has absolutely no interest in her when she is in season not that he is allowed anywhere near her but were as he will court the other bitches when they are returned to the pack until they tell him off he has a quick sniff at Daisy then leaves her well alone.

5. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Oops! Probably not the best temperament to breed from! :eek:

I wouldn't know about parent/pup relationships, but I do know Bates has gone many months without seeing his 'friends' (my friend's dogs who come stay with us). I think one stretch was over a year. But when he sees them, it's just a few seconds before they instantly know each other.

Horses remember each other too. It's very sweet. My old TB got to see one of his old pasture mates after many years, and you could tell they recognized and remembered each other. So touching.

Kind of adds an interesting twist to the "dogs live in the moment" adage. I don't know how accurate that is...

6. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Reena has been back to visit her pack a couple of times - her father and 2 daughters from different litters included. She didn't seem toenamored with any of them and spent the time there hiding behind my back.:rolleyes:

lullabydream likes this.
  7. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

I am sure that they do have a scent memory in regard to knowing their siblings which means that they will recognise they 'know' this dog but don't necessarily think in terms of 'family'. And of course it doesn't mean they will automatically 'like' each other.

Generally I don't find my bitches show any more interest in their offspring if they meet them after a year or so. And they certainly don't have a reunion. And the same for the siblings - both my Labs and my Cavvies have contact with their 'littermates' from time to time but there is rarely any obvious 'connection'. In fact my young Labs closest connection with one of her 'family' is with her brother who is the same parents but a different litter (two years apart in age). They can mirror each others body language and play amazingly but to me this is down to their being from the same genetic line (he is very like his grandmother) rather than any sibling recognition.

Those that grow up together (I have two sets of mother/daughter and a set of siblings) remain incredibly close so it is easy to see it as 'family' but I am not sure that it is. And least not in the way we mean family - because the Cavaliers and the Labradors are equally close with each other and each others offspring/siblings as their are with their 'breed'. In fact my dogs often co-parent (our older Cavvie would go in and wash the Lab pups and I once watched as our older Labrador lay down to allow two small Cavvie pups crawl away from their littermates and nestle into her belly.

So I think it's more about 'family unit' or animals they feel comfortable with, than actually biological family.

J

8. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

@02.0,

Her temperament was fine we were at a show and she was in a crate she just didn't like other dogs invading her space. At the time I didn't even realise it was her mother I was talking to the breeder and had Poppy with me when Poppy went to the crate and sniffed it. My Italian greyhound Buck has the sweetest of temperaments he loves other dogs but don't let your dog approach his crate when he's at a show because he becomes a screaming banshee

9. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Haven't noticed a difference particularly with Cash & his offspring. But then again he didn't raise them and/or live with them. The mother of the litter apparently recognizes the pups and them her and they regularly meet up for walks/shows etc and all get on exceptionally well.

When we met Ty's litter brother some years ago now there was definitely something different in their greeting/mingling together. Us owners all commented that it was as if they instinctively knew each other.

10. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Holly has met her mother once since leaving her and she has met one of her siblings, Luna, at 6 months and again at 1 year. When they met at 6 months there was a bit of a handbag type argument over a toy. When they met up again at 1 year they had a full-on scrap (no-one was hurt, but neither one would back down and it took us several minutes to seperate them), again over a ball that had been dropped. Bearing in mind Holly has interacted with probably hundreds of dogs over the years and never had a fight with any of them (and has always backed down when confronted) and Luna was similar we felt that perhaps there was some sibling rivalry there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice