Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Memories

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rona, Jul 15, 2009.

1. rona

rona Guest

Have you any childhood memories of dogs.
    My twin sister and I used to have a GSD that would not leave our sides when we were out in the garden, it wasn't even ours, it was a neighbours

2. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

The ESS we had when I was a kid untrained and an outside dog probably because they never bothered to train him but he was the sweetest thing imaginable.

3. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

My friend had a black lab that used to follow us everywhere! In the days when us kids could wander freely all day my brother fell into a river - in retrospect not a deep on but scary to us young 'uns - and Sam jumped in, let my brother hold onto is collar and pulled him out :)

4. peppapug

peppapug PetForums Senior

We used to have a rescue dog who had been ill treated and was on valium all the years we had him. I used to do a paper round with him, me on my bike and he ran along side.

The problem was Christmas tips. People used to leave out meaty bones, choc drops and treats for the dog, i got nothing!!! But i did love that boy :rolleyes:

alphadog likes this.
  5. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

My childhood memories of dogs is that i was terified of them.:(

6. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Yes i remember the prudentail man being pinned by the balls by our gsd in the back garden she held him there till my nan got in. Hed gone round the back as there was no answer and our gsd vick was always very soft with him he was allowed in the garden she just wouldnt let him leave. Thought it was quite funny. The moment my nan arrived she released him he dant move an inch. She didnt leave any marks but he wasnt going to risk any sudden moves and the funny thing was her tail was wagging throughtout.

7. rona

rona Guest

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

8. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

we had a golden lab (Jenson) and we used to dress him up for my birthday party's, put sunglasses on him, and funny hats. he would let us do anything to him, just such a big softie. he was also very good at climbing 6 foot fences,

9. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

I can remember my mum and dad 'rescuing' a golden retriever bitch, she was for sale in a local paper, the guy who owned her wanted to bring her out to vet the home, well he arrived and before Della came out of the car, out came her bowls, collar and lead and a grotty bit of blanket, she got out of the car and was like a lathe bless her, my parents paid the guy out of pity for Della, she ran away from her previous owner and wouldnt come back for him to say 'goodbye' - she ran straight into the farmhouse and stole a fruitcake off the table and half a pound of fresh butter off the worktop - bless her she was half starved.

She turned out to be one of the best goldens we have ever owned, she was the main reason that we are still showing dogs today, and is in the pedigree of some of the guide dogs for the blind dogs way way back!!!!

Our present day dogs do not unfortunately go back to this lovely girl

meadowreen delyth.jpg

10. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

i remember when i was 4 or 5 that i used to go round to a house on our street and steel their little dog out of the garden and take it home saying it was lost:rolleyes:, tried for months doing that but my mum always used to catch me out and take it home, think i must have loved that little dog as much as our own dogs at the time:D

11. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Yep I do! we used to have poodles when we were kids(nothing against poodles) but man up the road had a black Lab and I would take him for walks rather than ours lol thats where it all started!

12. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

My childhood Heinz 57 used to go camping in the woods behind our house with my Dad and the Cubs (long before parents worried about H&S or child protection issues). The dog was a bit of a character and would always sleep in my Dad's tent. Each night my Dad would take out his false teeth and put them under his pillow. One morning Dad couldn't find his teeth, after searching his tent inside and out he finally decided that the Cubs must have sneaked in during the night and stolen them. Furious, he made all the Cubs strike their tents and empty their rucsacs, but the teeth never appeared.

After a day of sniggering from the Cubs (and their parents when it was home time), Dad decided to give up looking for his teeth and in a mood went and booked an appointment with the dentist.....

Five days later, I answered the door to a gamekeeper looking man with the most beautiful GSD I've ever seen. He said that the GSD had dug up Dad's teeth in the woods - they had been buried under a tree!! I wonder who would steal and then bury a prized treasure under a tree?!! :ihih:

A few years later I started working in the local pub where I met the GSD owner once more. He confessed to being terrified when his dog dug up the teeth because he was expecting to find the rest of the body too!!! rofl :D :D

This dog story is still one of legend in our village

1 person likes this.
  13. Deerhounder

Deerhounder PetForums Senior

I can't remember a time when I wasn't crazy about dogs. I can still remember the local dogs I knew as a small child. Ricky and Simon - Boxer and black Lab next door, Otto and Hugo - two black and tan Dachshunds who lived opposite, Brendan the Irish Setter, Taffy the Corgi, Mops the Wire Haired Fox Terrier, King the huge GSD and my uncles working Kelpies. My Uncle Jim adored his Kelpies. Most farmers chained their dogs. Not Uncle Jim. He had huge compounds, much larger than the average dog kennel and run, where he housed his dogs. I can still hear Uncle Jim yell: "Arse on the ground!" and 15 Kelpies would instantly sit.

I was five when my family got our first dog. Geordie was an 18 month old black Cocker Spaniel. He was a magic dog. A perfect dog for kids to grow up with. He joined in every game we played and answered to any name we chose to give him as part of a game. He was Timmy when we played Famous Five. He was Lassie and Rin Tin Tin. He even had a special game we called Policedog Geordie where he was sometimes a bloodhound and others a GSD. Geordie made a good horse as well. We would build courses of jumps and be show jumpers. The dog always beat the kids. I got into trouble once for harnessing him to my doll's pram. My mother said it was cruel but Geordie didn't mind. He was playing the part of Black Beauty.

When I close my eyes and think of my childhood Geordie is almost always present in the memories.

1 person likes this.
  14. Savahl

Savahl Guest

When i was younger we had a black lab, bonnie, we grew up together :eek: I loved that dog like she was a sister hehe. when i was ill she wouldnt leave my side, and she wanted to go everywhere with me..even when she was old and arthritic. When i first started seeing the OH i was living at home still and she wouldnt ever let us just cuddle on the sofa lol, she wanted some too! he wasnt too impressed by the big smelly black lab trying to climb over him for a hug! especially because she was a bit...windy... in her old age and it was not a pleasant smell haha.

When she went i was crushed - i was 17 she was 15 and had suffered 2 strokes over 2 nights, I had to make the decision to let her go as my mum was undergoing surgery, and it was the hardest thing i ever had to do.

My OH's childhood dog wasnt his own, but a neighbours, she used to babysit the local kids lol. I have known him since i was 5, and always remember this massive rottie that would sit out on the lawn and watch the local kids play in the street. The only problem was new kids parents had to be introduced to her with the child before they left, otherwise they wouldnt be able to come to pick their child up without a very large rottie with very large teeth standing between them refusing access!! at least it kept strangers away!!

#14 Savahl, Jul 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2009
  15. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I'm loving everyones memories :)

We never had any animals growing up, but my uncle owns a farm and we would visit every summer.
    They had a black Lab cross working on the farm who would stick to my dad like glue, when we were coming to visit she would sit by the front gate for hours - god knows how she knew we were coming.
    She would also steal the cattle feed and ended up quite overweight when she retired from working.
    As kids we would take her out to play with us all around the farm and we would eat her doggie chocolate drops ;)

16. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

We had a lovely mongrel called Dusky who grew up with us and went everywhere with us - off the lead of course. She was allowed to wander and she had a litter of pups but I was too young to have any memory of them. I think she was spayed after that. My 'aunty' over the road had a big lab cross called Sam and we used to take him out with us too sometimes. In those days we used to go to the park on our own (aged about 6) and cross a busy main road to get there, never put the dogs on the lead and they just stuck with us.

17. raindog

raindog PetForums Senior

My first dog was a beautiful black and tan mongrel girl called Trixie. I grew up with her. Then at about 12-13 I started to visit an eccentric old girl down the road who bred Alsations. She had about 20 of them from pups to 20 year olds. They were all straight backed and incredibly healthy. I and my friends used to walk the dogs for her every day - miles and miles over the local farmland. My next personal dog was a mongrel puppy - Rusty who I owned right through my teenage years - we were inseparable and he always came with me when I walked the Alsations. He was a lovely boy but occasionally mischievous - like the day he took my granny's false teeth out of her shopping bag (she always took them out when she got home) and ate them.

Mick

#17 raindog, Jul 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  18. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

ive only owned two dogs in my life. my bouncy bailey beagle and my old heinz 57 sparky.

my gran always had dogs though when i was growing up, and English Springer called Prince and a Welsh Springer called Bruce, they were wicked dogs. Once both of them passed she got another welsh who is called Rusty.

i always remember the stray that used to live in my area, we called her goldie and she was a mix of some sort, defo had greyhound in her though. she was the friendliest dog ever. she used to wait for us at the end of our street after school :) then one day she just disappeared. we found out a few days later she had been found dead at the park up the road, killed by fireworks. was very upsetting. but for the few years that i did know her, she was a beautiful dog.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice