Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Meg Scared The Life

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sallyanne, Jul 3, 2009.

1. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Out of us last night!

We took both her and Tyler for their walk last night,she was fine till the way back,She really started to pant heavy,and was gasping for her breath :eek:
    She had started to overheat,called in at the pub to ask for some water and they refused! :eek: I was disgusted and furious but my major concern was Meg,we needed to get her home asap.
    So I Picked her up and carried her,then Luke did,then O/H.

Got her home and used some tepid water on her,did her underneath and head,I soaked a towel again in tepid water and threw it over her and wiped her down with it,then placed it in her crate with her and made her lie on it.I kept a close eye on her and she was absolutely fine two hours later,but my god she scared the life out of us!
    I thought at one point she was going to collaspe,I'm sure she likes putting me through it! :eek:

2. peppapug

peppapug PetForums Senior

Bless him, glad he is ok.

Oh, and i bet you will be drinking in that pub in the future. How mean, would it of hurt and how short sighted, you may have been a local alcoholic for all he knew!!! :D

3. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Oh god, poor girlie :( pleased she's okay now and what **holes :mad:

4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I think hosing her would have been a good idea and get her temperature back to normal as fast as possible. You are lucky she recovered so quickly.

5. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

What a horrible scare - glad to hear she is all Ok now and recovered quickly
    Can't believe the pub refused to give you any water :mad:

6. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

It was very frightening at the time,it was around 8.30 when we went out with them so it had cooled down but obviously not enough for poor Meg.I have never seen her like it before.

As for the pub,we used to regulary call in there but not anymore,I was disgusted with them and they own a dog too! :mad:

I tell you what Meg was like a lead weight to carry up the road,but we didn't have alot of choices.
    I thought covering her with tepid towels and getting her to lie on them was the best option as it was underneath her where there isn't much fur so Cooling her quicker.

7. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

How awful, glad she's ok now.

But can I just say don't leave a wet towel or blanket or your dog, it can turn into a sauna and trap heat in rather than escaping.

Give them cool water not cold

Apply cool water to the inner thighs that will help cool them down

Cooling them to quick can cause a heart attack and bloat

Try and walk your dog slowly as the air can move freely round them

And take your dog to the vets as soon as you can, just because your dog looks OK, heat strock can cause damage to the liver and kidneys.

The effects can last 48-72 hours even if your dog looks OK

8. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

How selfish are some people that they would refuse water?:mad: my god what is this world coming to.I remember as a kid,in the summer when we where playing and it got too hot we could knock onany door and ask for water. I glad to hear meg is ok sallyanne.:D:D

9. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Aww i bet thats was scarey :(:( Im glad she is alright now though!!
    I cant belive the pub refused you some water :eek:

10. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

That's what we did we used tepid water not cold,O/H wanted to use cold water so I explained why you don't use it,her crate is large so the towel was only at one end and we left her in the garden for around an hour,gently moving her about and there was a nice breeze which helped.
    We wiped her down with the towel's didn't actually cover her with them,we put one on her back for a few mins while we did her underneath and then just wiped her face,back etc with them.
    She's at the vets later for a check up.She seems fine this morning though,eat her food,been out with no problems :)
    Thanks Janice,She's put us through it that girl of our's!

11. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Thanks,
    I've never had a dog do this to us before! It was very scarey.As for the pub,were not going there anymore.

12. rona

rona Guest

How scary, they put us through it don't they?
    Unbelievable, the people at the pub, I'm gobsmaked at their ignorance

13. clueless

clueless Banned

Glad Meg is okay Sal. Its terrible that you could not even get some water for Meg from that Pub. Its a good idea not to go there again

14. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

How scary for you! Glad Meg is ok now.

As for the pub owners :mad: how ignorant are they and being dog owners themselves as well :mad: Not somewhere I'd go for a drink again!

15. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Sitting her on wet towels was a good idea.

When a dog is overheated you have to reduce the temperature gradually. If you cool them too quickly, the blood vessels constrict, which then makes the cooling process take much longer as the blood circulates much slower. Cold water is counter productive.

The best way if to have a dog near a fan, allow it access to to tepid water, and again, spray the coat with tepid water. Covering with towels again can be counter productive as it prevents the water from evaporating and creates a hot and humid environment.

Air circulation is the key to cooling down.

Fleur likes this.
  16. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Definatly not going there again,I shall be taking her water bowl,bottle of water and towels when it's this hot in future! Don't want to go through this again.
    It has cooled down quite a bit today though,it alot fresher so should be more comfortable for her and us.

17. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Thanks Nonnie,
    It was hard trying to think,as I was panicking ever so slightly,I did know not to use cold water and use tepid,I sent Liz in front to open the house get the towels and water ready so I could cool her as soon as we got home.
    All the kids were worried about her.
    Not a nice situation to be in.

18. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Im glad shes ok.

Oscar hasnt been coping well with the heat at all, even at rest his breathing has been bad. So ive been spraying him with a plant sprayer whilst hes infront of the fan.
    Really seems to help, and i think he enjoys it.

Shame on your local pub, thats a disgusting attitude to have.

19. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Thanks,
    She hasn't been coping with the heat very well at all,she has been lying on the cool floor infront of the fan.
    Thankfully the weather has got to cool down a little.

O/H told the Landlord of the pub how disgusted he was with him before walking out,I was going to go in and have a word but Meg was my first concern and we really needed to get her home.

20. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Oh dear, glad she's okay!

Shame on those people in the pub who wouldn't help you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice