Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Meg and I had fun re-training today.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Gertrude, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Gertrude

Gertrude PetForums VIP

Meg went to 'school' for 22 weeks and did well, but its all either inside, or in a field, plus, we live opposite fields so never really got used to cars bikes etc so she started chasing when she did see them, I did a couple of weeks training her to leave them and she did well.... but I think she has just gone a little bit 'astray' in all areas really, and now that she's turned 1 she's a tad different somehow...so, back to basics today on the field with sit stay down etc and we had great fun and loads of real progress, gonna carry on with a little of everything for another few weeks just to make sure its 'in there' :D

Is there anything else I should be thinking of, also, is 1 year too late to be going over old stuff, or should I be changing tactics?

2. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Going over the basics is the best thing you can do. It's always good to go over them.

I need to do more work on our walks.

Good luck and well done so far :)

3. Gertrude

Gertrude PetForums VIP

Thank you xx

Today there was no-one about and I kept turning and running in different directions using a whistle to call Meg... and she followed every time. :D

The worst problem I have is meg has NO interest in me if there is another dog about, she is soooo dog friendly that her re-call etc is just non existant in these situations. :(

4. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

The more interesting you make yourself the more she'll pay attention.

5. Holtie

Holtie PetForums VIP

No, personally, it is a good idea to do basics now and then just to keep it 'alive'.

If it makes you feel better, my younger Springer is being a right lil' so and so at the moment with her recall - her response is 'lah, lah, lah, can't hear you, ain't listenin'!! So, there's going to be only one winner and it's going to be ME!!

:)

Perseverance and patience is the key! :)

6. Gertrude

Gertrude PetForums VIP

She doesn't even glance back at me! Its like she goes deaf - We even had this problem when she was attending classes and my trainer [who is a sheepdog trainer] tested her for deafness! :eek:

Oh dear! Lil' buggers aint they? :D

I shall persevere :thumbup:

7. Holtie

Holtie PetForums VIP

I haven't been that polite about my dog at times! :eek: Not that I say it out loud!! :D

8. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Leave her on a long line whilst on the field and if someone comes on stand on it and if she ignores you still, walk her away and get her attention further away. Soon she'll not have to be taken as far before she pays attention to you instead of the dogs.

If that makes sense. Don't challenge her too much at first. Expecting her to listen in the presence of other dogs straight away is too much. Go at her speed.

Have you tried a basic obedience class with other dogs around - it improved Louie LOADS.

9. Gertrude

Gertrude PetForums VIP

Thanks x I'll try the long line, I did go out with it twice last week but it was such bad weather it got so soggy I went back to a lead *norty me*

I did do classes but she did nothing she was told with the other dogs there, we had to practice at home, even the trainer couldn't get her attention!
    She really is fixated
    When we [sometimes] walk with my friend and her 2 dogs, Meg just NEVER leaves their side.

I wont give up :laugh:

10. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Try Cadelac Training class, I see your in the midlands, so if you're notts way, they're in Tollerton. I'm sure Denise and the other trainers would welcome her as a challenge - they like challenges.

11. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

When I was a lot more motivated than I am these days I used to give my competition dogs a break of about six weeks over Christmas and start training them again in January totally from scratch. I'm talking about dogs that were a lot older than a year.

12. Sezzastar

Sezzastar PetForums Senior

This is the same problem I have with Harley when other dogs are about, he acts like he is deaf!! I have just purchased my first silent whistle so I can just blow that instead of running around shouting "Harley!!!!.. Harley!!.. HARLEY!" like a lunatic! :thumbdown:

13. Sezzastar

Sezzastar PetForums Senior

Also have just been watching some training videos.. and don't they make it look easy!! They always have a readily trained doggy, I'd like to lend them one of mine and see them do it :laugh:

14. Gertrude

Gertrude PetForums VIP

Thats just what My trainer said :lol: :lol:

I am in the midlands but in Leicester so it's be too far for me - But thanks xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice