Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Meet my hamsters

Discussion in 'Small Animal Chat' started by Engel98, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Recently I have adopted a few more hamsters from a rescue and thought is share their journey and story with you.

First up is my roborovski, Niko who's about 7 months old. Super sweet guy and has become very tame and trusting. His favourite thing to do while out of his cage is snuggle up on my shoulder with some pumpkin seeds while I'm watching TV. Niko was in the rehoming part of [email protected] and told he was very skittish. It took him 3 days to take food from me and a further 2 weeks to properly stand on my hand so I could pick him up. IMG_20191219_230922059.jpg

kimthecat, Knighterist and Colette like this.
  2. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Next up we have a female Syrian named Lilith. Lilith had spent most of her life in rescue as she was taken there as an unwanted pet. She is about 14 months old and very curious. The rescue had told me that she isn't the best when it comes to handling as she can be a tad skittish. Last night was her first taming/trust building session which I limited to 10 minutes because she was new and I think it went really well!!!

IMG_20200110_222704924.jpg IMG_20200110_203239195.jpg

3. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Athena is a female Syrian who unfortunately is a neglect case. When she first went into rescue she was literally bones. Now that I've adopted her I need to keep an eye on her weight. She gained while in the rescue but even now she is home she has got a way to go. She currently weighs 83g and is about 6-7 months old. Last night was also her first taming/trust building session but she managed only 5 minutes before she took herself back into her cage.

IMG_20200110_201151154.jpg IMG_20200110_201420572.jpg

4. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Last but not least, male Syrian named Ghost. Ghost is approximately 6-7 months old and was taken into rescue when his owner could no longer take care of him. He is a sweet boy although he did bite me in the rescue (they woke him up).

I'm yet to get a photo of him as he didn't want to come out last night.

So here's all my hamsters! I will keep this thread updated as their journeys go on.

Knighterist likes this.
  5. Knighterist

Knighterist PetForums Member

Ohh wow you have a big family!! They're are all so sweet! Looking forward to a picture of Ghost!!!

Engel98 likes this.
  6. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Finally got a decent pic of him :D

7. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Finally got a decent pic of him. He's quite skittish so will disappear hence the name IMG_20200212_210112540.jpg

8. Knighterist

Awww isn't he a handsome one! I didn't realise this but paper boxes are ok toys or hideouts for hammy?! :O

Engel98 likes this.
  9. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Yup. Cheap and simple. I've just cut a couple of holes in it and rammed it full of soft bedding as a cheap burrow box! Cardboard tubes are cheap tunnels and if you food I'm the ends and put food inside it doubles up as an enrichment item :3

10. Knighterist

Very good tip! I'm gonna get the boxes back out from the recycling pile!!!

Engel98 likes this.
  11. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Other thing include clean jars to be used as a toilet or somewhere cool to go if they get warm. Pringles tubes- cut the bottom off remove the lid and voilà big tunnel :)
    Also, some desserts have a ceramic bowl which are perfect food/water bowls or you could use cheap tealight holders.

Knighterist likes this.
  12. Knighterist

I just bought a ceramic bowl off Zooplus (sounds like Zoopla for pets), to up my purchase of the Alaska cage to £45 for free delivery :D
    Pringles aren't on sale lately so I am looking forward to finishing my loo roll! :p

Engel98 likes this.
  13. Smolmaus

Smolmaus PetForums Member

Havrnt been around in a while, so glad to see your hamily growing!! What a beautiful bunch! <3

Engel98 likes this.
  14. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

They sure are. They've settled in really well and are nice and calm. Ghost has a bit to go but I think we may have turned a corner. He'll now come out of the cage voluntarily and will let me stroke him both in and out the cage. Still has times where he's skittish and dart about and hide but normally if I move too quickly.

Athena has gained 52g since being with me bringing her weight up to 135g. She's still got some way to go. I'll try and get her to 150g and see how she appears then. She's really confident now and will happily sit on my lap. She's really vocal when in heat though.

Liliths also doing well. Loves a cuddle. She's slowing down now but she is 15-17 months old now. She is happy to be handled by children too so she's come a long way from the skittish one she once was.

Niko is Niko. Into everything. Tried sieving the sand earlier and he sat in the sieve. Like butter wouldn't melt. :D

15. Knighterist

I actually got hungry and bought a small can of Pringles today and did that! He started chewing in the tube though xD

Engel98 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice