Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Meet George

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Kammie, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

As you all know I lost Charlie last week and I'm still gutted about it, he was my baby. Now I'm hoping this doesn't all come out wrong and make me seem like I'm replacing my boy because I'm not. I went to pets at home Saturday looking for some new toys for Rosie to cheer her up a bit since she's gotten really depressed over losing Charlie. I took a detour and had a look at the buns they had in and fell in love straight away with a little grey lop. Now I spent a good 3 hours at pets at home thinking long and hard do I get him or do I leave it and hope he finds a good home, with Rosie being depressed and moping in the back of my mind I decided to get him and bond him to Rosie once she gets back to her old self a bit. After previous experience I checked this little baby was definately a boy before comitting to buying him since Rosie accepts males better than females. I ask the person dealing with me about where the little guy came from, they said a breeder they always use. I was happy with the answer they gave me and they said he was 9 weeks old. All the rabbits they had looked happy and healthy binkying around their runs so I was decided I'd take this little guy home. Got him home and settled into his temporary indoor cage till he's been to the vets for a check up and lost his manhood. Left him in peace for the rest of the day to calm down and settle then Sunday put him in the garden still in the indoor cage for a bit and Rosie come running up to the cage licking him through the bars. I wasn't the only one that fell in love with him at first sight it seems. I'm still not letting them loose together till he's been health checked by my vet though.

So meet George, and I hope no one thinks bad of me for buying another baby boy so soon after losing my Charlie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

George is a little cutie!!

Nobody will think bad of you at all, i think you did the right thing!

When my Dave died i got Stan a week later, not to replace Dave but cos i missed Dave being around and i wanted to get another one.

Im sure George will be much happier now he has a nice new home xx

3. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

aw he is a real cutie, I hope the vet oks him :)

I pop into pets at home about once a week as their car parks free and near town, I must be very good coz manage to resist the buns so well lol

4. Cavalierlover123

Cavalierlover123 PetForums VIP

Aw hes just lovely!!:D
    I hope he gets on ok at vets, and Rosie accepts him when hes neutered.:)

5. mimi g

mimi g PetForums VIP

Awww he is adorable!
    I dont think you are replacing I think you are doing the best for Rosie!
    xxxxx

6. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

he is lovely, i dont blame you for getting him, youve given him a good home and rosie will have a friend again.

when i lost bodger, i was heartbroken and i said i wasnt having anymore rabbits!!! three days later i couldnt stand not having any rabbits at all so i started looking again. took a while before i found the pair for me but it did help me move on and in the process i have taken in two rabbits that were otherwise homeless.

7. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

He's gorgeous but you are just helping support something many rescues are trying to ban, another bun will be in his place now that may not be so lucky home wise, its a shame seeing as there are so many buns already needing homes all because of the pet shop trade business :(

Glad you got a bunny you want though, hes a lucky bun.

8. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

I personally think you did the right thing getting another bunny, you are not replacing Charlie just giving another one a chance of happiness.

I had the same dilemma when I lost Kodi, I hated seeing Rascal so sad. About a week later I had a good look at a beautiful bun in PAH, again I was in there buying some stuff for my lot. The woman there must have got so sick of me and questions about this bun, but she suggested that if I already have 2 females why not try him with them! So thats what I did, and they are great together. I had already checked the local rescues for a female the same sort of age as him and there wernt any females, only males.

Glad you gave him a great home with you, a friend for him and a friend for Rosie :p

Kodi was a PAH bunny. Rascal is my RSPCA rescue. My other 5 are all from small pet shops(4 from the same one) although I found the breeder of my New Zealands and I think I know who bred the Nethies.
    I think its only natural to get them from pet shops, particualary when rescues make it so damn difficult to home a bun, they shouldnt just give you one, but they need homes for all these thousands of bunnies, so shouldnt they be encoraging people to get what they need so they can have a bun, not just turning them away? If I hadn't have faught to get Rascal, he could still be one that needed a home now, or living in solitary - this bun that would kill any other that you put him with :eek:ut::rolleyes:

*Heidi*

#8 hazyreality, Jul 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  9. dipdog

dipdog PetForums VIP

aww george is so cute xx

10. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Oh what a surprise :rolleyes: you like pet shops too because they make it so easy for just anyone to buy a poor baby bun and do what they want with it.

Rescues dont rescue buns to just let them go to a home where they will not have the accomodation they need, do you like the fact many PAH rabbits are shoved in 3ft hutches and eventually forgotten about or dumped on a rescue? I know many rescues that as long as you can prove the buns will get exercise everyday and you have appropriate accomodation they will rehome to you, ive done homechecks myself on people for a rescue.

You buy a petshop bunny another one will be straight in its place and what kind of home will that bun get?? Petshops are the cause of so many problems due to their shockingly bad advice. While people still insist on giving them business and impulse buying these bunnies will continue to suffer.

I really despair sometimes.

Kammie this is not a go at you, i know how gorgeous the PAH bunnies are, im glad you have a lovely bunny that you want.

#10 crofty, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  11. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

I've never gone out of my way looking for a pet shop bun, I avoid it as much as possible but in this situation where I;m living at the moment I'm no where near a rescue and have no means of transport so if I did find a rescue it would mean a very long stressful bus journey for a bun. Out of all the rabbits I've had only two have been from pet shops including George. I've had far more rescue buns than anything else. Both the pet shop buns have been purely because I was there buying for my other buns and fell in love straight away and not wanted this bun to go to a little kid who'll get bored. I wanted to do whats best for Rosie and in the circumstances this was best, Rosie is depressed from losing Charlie and with no close by rescue and me falling in love with George it was the best option I had. As soon as Rosie saw George through the cage bars she was licking his nose so for her its love at first sight too and she's been so much happier with him being here even if they aren't bonded yet till he has a vet trip and grows a bit bigger.

No I didn't mean to start an argument or cause upset or even offend anyone I just wanted to introduce George. I'm sorry if this is what I've done.

12. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

Kammie

You have a lovely bun there and we are all pleased to meet him! And im sure Rosie is very happy with him and at the end of the day George has been given a nice new home and if you hadnt rehomed him then somebody else would have xx ;)

13. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Thanks Kelly, George is gorgeous but can't decide if he's a lop or not I think. Had him on the bed whilst I was doing some housework in our room, looked over at him and he was laying asleep ears lopped after tiring himself out playing with his ball, next time I look over at him he's still sleeping but his ears are bolt upright. I think he's starting to change colour too, he still had the really soft baby fluff when I bought him but since I've had him home he seems to be turning a lighter grey. Slightly worrying about him having the baby fluff makes me think he's younger than I was told which was partly why I got him so I could look after him properly unlike a random little kid thinking he's cute.

What age do baby buns tend to lose the really soft fluff for the adult coat? All the babies I've had have completely lost the fluff or only have a small patch of it left.

14. mimi g

mimi g PetForums VIP

I agree!
    And sometimes you just see the bun for you and thats that....

When I got Normi I searched the local rescues and the buns I liked the look of had all been reserved and the others just didnt give me that tingly I have to take you home feeling that I wanted!
    But as soon as I saw Norman for sale i got that feeling and im sure you did the same with George!
    xxx

15. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

Rescues can also be a very long process and unnecessary sometimes in my opinion and there arent always many that you can get to to actually see the bunny! But i do always look at them just in case but its looking like im gonna go back to my breeder as i cant find any contis in rescues! :confused:

16. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Dont worry Kammie you havent started an arguement, just some comments annoy me when its so frustrating that so many bunnies suffer due to pet shops. I waited for the right rescue bunny, Kelly conti's do come up quite often but i know its difficult when your desperate to get Stan a friend, if you go to a breeder just makesure its a decent one and that you dont support these people that do it to make money and dont care about the well being of the bun.

The rescues I know do things absolutely right and i dont think a couple of week s of waiting matters when you get to have a happy bunny for years to come and you all have such loving homes waiting seems a shame they a rescue bun doesnt have the chance to have a home like that because rescues have to homecheck and do the paperwork. I waited for my dreamer and he was worth it :)

#16 crofty, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  17. hazyreality

:rolleyes:Glad to see you dont make these things personal Crofty! :rolleyes:

The pet shop here (where I got the nethies from) breeds his bunnies, and he is as particular about where they go as any breeder would be, just because he is selling them from a shop, instead of his home, doesnt mean he is irresponsible!
    He checked for size of hutch, run, food, other pets, suggested toys etc etc... that to me isnt irresponsible, and he is not just letting anyone have them.

I am not saying I will not rescue because of the hassle :confused:, I have rescued in the past, but what I am saying is cant you see that by rescues making it sooo hard to adopt a bun that they could be turning possible good homes away! And if there really are 33,000 bunnies in rescues as you keep pointing out, surely the last thing they should do is push people to the point of giving up and getting a baby from a pet shop!

As it is the rescue here has very few bunnies for rehoming in it! And when you ask for details, they look at you like you've asked them to move the world! And to ask them to do a meet between 2 buns! Its not just the waiting times that get people its the way they get treated. Pet shops like it or not, know how to appeal to their customers, maybe the rescues should take a few tips in customer relations from them.

#17 hazyreality, Jul 29, 2009
  18. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

it annoying how people can love working with animals so much but have such limited people skills

19. hazyreality

precisely! and if you got that when you went to rescue an animal, what would you think? As it is, I worked voluntary there so I can go in by myself, and get the notes etc, if i ask on reception i just get, go and have a look! or there is one lady who is ok, but she is part time.
    Alot of these people are so condesending aswell, so you know it will need an a food bowl, food, a water bottle- people can only stand so much of that!

*Heidi*

#19 hazyreality, Jul 29, 2009
  20. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Oh I just dont agree with your views thats all so wasnt a surprise you'd support pet shops. Ive never heard of a petshop checking where the bun goes it is a one off it what you say is true and i cant comment on rescues i dont know. Who cares about the people that run the rescue anyway its the buns welfare that matters and the only thing i care about.

I'm not going to argue with you about this I'll just get too angry.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice