Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Meerkats in pet shops

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Elmstar, May 27, 2010.

1. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

2. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

I have heard of them being sold at at least two pet shops in the Nottinghamshire area. There's no doubt more shops stocking them. Idiots will be sucked into buying them and rescues will pick up the pieces. There are so many wild animals that are unsuitable as pets and how anyone can equate the wild animal with the cute puppet on TV and think that they are getting something similar is quite beyond me?

3. RachelGC

RachelGC PetForums Member

Thats awful!!

I love the meerkat adverts, love watching meerkat manor on the BBC and think they're adorable but i would never EVER consider buying one... they're wild animals who love being within a social group for god sake :incazzato::incazzato:

Animals like this should only ever be kept in their natural environment or as close as possible like what zoo's provide them!

I know we keep other wild animals such as reptiles but we've learnt how to artifically create a "natural" environment for them and look after them as well as they would have lived in the wild, but with something like a meerkat i really don't think it's possible unless you have the space and resources like a zoo would have!

Anyway i shall post my comments on the article and stop my ranting :thumbup:

4. RachelGC

RachelGC PetForums Member

couldn't agree with you more!!!

5. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

that`s awful i`m shocked they`re allowed to sell them!!! :eek: i wanted a meerkat long before them adverts but obviously keeping one as a pet isn`t very good for them, poor things.

6. hawksport

hawksport Banned

If one of those is the one I know the lady who works in there who bred them will tell you all the reasons you shouldn't have. They are not for sale to anyone that has the money.

7. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

i would love a merrkat as a pet. i would NEVER buy one though as how mean is that?!

they should be in the wild - if not safari parks - knowsley is a good example of that.

8. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

I remember when squirrel monkeys were all the rage and I used to sell my bunnies to a pet shop and always they had squirrel monkeys being poked and laughed at :mad: I never actually seen anyone buying one though :confused:

9. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

They should not be in pet shops full stop!

10. hawksport

hawksport Banned

The only reason they are in the shop is because they shouldn't be left alone

11. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

Ditto. Anyone who truly cared about these animals would not be breeding them for the pet trade! They should only be available to people who are prepared to keep a proper group in a purpose built enclosure that is more than large enough for their needs and who is prepared to keep them out of interest rather than as pets or a money making scheme! Few people can afford the time, space or money to make that happen for Meerkats and those that can will go to a Zoo for surplus stock and not pay the huge prices demanded by pet shops!

There are NO excuses! I do not care how much info the breeders give - they have no business selling these wild creatures to pet homes unless they are prepared to have strict critera like that I set out in my 3rd sentence. These animals should not be in a pet shop on sale - no way! :mad:

12. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Probably unpopular but I don't mind people keeping them in groups, in suitable enclosures proper diet etc. But they shouldn't be sold in pet shops as single pets that is cruel in my opinion. Most people that keep them properly will admit these are hard animals to keep but people don't see that just the cute little animals. They don't realise they need 24/7 attention to try and compensate for their family group, can bite through your finger in one bite and aren't pets

13. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

I agree Nicky. A huge enclosure, secure enough that the group of Meerkats cannot escape, especially by digging out. Proper habitat to fulfil their natural instincts. A correct, balanced diet. An experienced exotics vet on hand who can handle aggressive animals. Regular enclosure cleaning, environmental enrichment, proper research and a willingness to accept that they are not cuddly pets but more an animal to watch from a distance.
    Not a dog crate in a house with plastic toys and very limited free run time or worse still, a rabbit hutch outside and no handling at all because the owner doesn't like being bitten down to the bone! :rolleyes:

14. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

That is cruel in my opinion. They're a lot of work to do it right and I guess most people can't be bothered or get the wrong information and don't bother double checking it

15. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

I think it's awful :frown: poor things

I would love a fennic fox but I'd want the right environment for the little thing not shove it in a dog crate and hope it'll be happy. :mad: some people are just stupid, cruel and heartless and also greedy.

16. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

are fennic's legal over here? (england)

They are cute and i didnt realise how small they are lol i want one :D :lol:

17. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

They are but very expensive and hard to find. I would love one :001_wub:. But decided realistically I couldn't have one yet

18. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

I didn't think they were till Nicky told me :lol: they apparently make good pets, i've seen youtube videos. They are adorable though :001_wub:

I forget how much and sadly me either, because it's small i'd worry Maya would try and kill it :frown: although she's fine iwth small dogs and cats? so who knows :lol:

19. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Foxes aren't on DWA so they're perfectly legal even if they were you could get the licence and then get one. I think they're £2000-3000 :eek6:. They make good pets but they're not for beginners. Ridiculously cute though

20. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

We wanted to get an ALC cub but decided that we didn't have the right environment for it.

I'd love a meerkat too, they are lovely creatures, but I know that they belong in the wild or at worst a very large enclosure with other meerkats plenty of stimulation, the correct prey and lots of digging room.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice