Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Medical suit or babygrow?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by McKenzie, Oct 11, 2019.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Just wondering whether those of you who have a medical suit for your dog thing it's worth it?

When Kenzie was spayed (8 years ago) I just used a babygrow on her and it was fine, but I'm wondering if it's a good idea to invest in a medical suit if she needs surgery on her bowel. I'm just forward thinking as postage can be a bit slow here.

This is the one I can get https://medivetproducts.com/products/medipaw-protective-pet-suit/

2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Yay ur back I have no idea but am thinking of getting something similar when Loki has the furry teabag op.

LinznMilly and McKenzie like this.
  3. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

If I could have found a baby grow to fit Maisie I would have! Obviously I couldn't so she had a medical vest.
    Eevee I used a baby's vest with a few sewing tacks in the neck so it fitted.. To me both worked pretty much the same. If Kenzie fits well in a baby grow, like my friends shih tzu does I wouldn't worry with a medical vest to be honest.

4. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

Emma had the MPS (Medical Pet Shirt) opens at the rear so they can pee & poo as normal - best to get two tho as at some point you will take them outside & forget to undo the back! I speak from experience several times! Got ours from Amazon. They wash n dry quickly too. Nice snug fit, bit like a Thunder shirt so they feel comfortable n warm in them. It's a one piece as opposed to two pieces to fiddle with as the Medipaw is. If you want but cant get the MPS yourself McKenzie let me know n I will get for you & send.

Mum2Heidi and McKenzie like this.
  5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Before deciding one way or the other, I'd check with the vet where any incision would be, and make sure that the fastenings of whatever suit you went for weren't going to be immediately in contact with the stitches, as they would rub and be uncomfortable, maybe even delay healing.
    When Ziggy was spayed, I made her a suit to wear afterwards, but I got the fastenings in the wrong place (only ever had a cat spayed before, where they went in through the side) so all the effort went to waste.

lorilu, Mum2Heidi, margy and 2 others like this.
  6. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

7. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

I've got a medical suit for Jasper (same one as the one susierainbow has above) and a baby gro for izzy. They're both very similar tbh except the baby gro was only 50p from a charity shop but works just as well.

8. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Thanks everyone. I don't really want to spend money on a medical suit if she's not going to need it or it's not going to be suitable, but I know if I wait until surgery is booked I won't get it in time. And knowing her shape, it won't fit her properly anyway!

I think I'll get a couple of baby grows and adjust them as needed. I'm generally home all day with her so I can keep an eye on her anyway :)

LinznMilly, lorilu, Mum2Heidi and 2 others like this.
  9. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

It’s nice to be prepared.
    I thought I was (cone of shame) when Heidi was spade.
    She hated it, gyrated continually. Afraid she’d do damage I took it off and adapted one of my grand daughter’s T shirts. She loved it. Could just about get to her stitches, but soon learned it was a no go area. I was able to leave her uncovered by day and popped the T shirt on over night as a reminder to deter her. I didn’t really need it.

Perhaps Kenzie will be the same when she realises you prefer her not to touch them.
    Heidi was most indignant when the nurse took her stitches out. “How very dare she touch them” :D

SusieRainbow, lullabydream and lorilu like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice