Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Mechanic robbed my brake shoes! GRRR

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by CharleyRogan, May 14, 2010.

1. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

Put my car in to get the drums and brake shoes changed, I bought the parts and just asked for them to be fitted. The mechanic has robbed my new brake shoes, leaving my crap ones on, the brakes are still binding, annd has charged me £25 for a job I could have done myself in 5 minutes! Oh I am not a happy bunny! Any advice? The place is literally on the same street, so i can see when it opens and I'm gonna go down and demand my brake shoes back..... GRRRRRRRRR!

2. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

How awful, if I was you I would contact trading standards. Keep all receipts to prove that you had bought the brake shoes too. Hope you manage to get this sorted.

3. CharleyRogan

I'm thinking of going police too, cos they were in the boot, so basically he stole them outta my boot and charged me £25 for privilege. Really Really Really annoyed......

4. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Oh my god :eek:

5. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

So before you do anything have you checked what break shoes are on... My x was a mechanic and he would give the old shoes back once they were taken off the car to prove he put new ones on..

6. CharleyRogan

Yep checked myself! Only paid to do them as person that was supposed to be doing them didn't have time!

Hasn't put old ones back in the boot as they are still on car! I think it because I'm a girl, and he didn't think I would be able to take the wheels off to check. Can tell they the old ones, as they rusty, but loadsa 'meat' on them, and new ones that have disappeared are gleaming and new! Also think he would think he could get away with it as old shoes in decent nick, but I bought new ones as supposed to change drums and shoes at the same time!

He changed drums, which I could do myself, its the shoes I couldn't do by myself! But also didn't put old ones in the boot! He also been in front of car because theres mud all over the front seats which I have just put covers on and he has got them dirty.... he didn't need to touch the inside of the car!

7. CharleyRogan

Update: They were like...oh... I thought I had done them! I think he knew he had been rumbled! Taking my car in the morning, and hopefully that should stop them binding!

8. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

You're quite lucky. My brother left his sat nav, phone charger and loose change in the front of his car and a couple parts for them in the back. They claimed they knew nothing about any of them and this was a garage that his insurance was paying to fix his car up..!

What cheeky sods, hopefully they sort it for you!

9. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

I wouldn't be the one to rain on your parade but changing brake shoes/pads won't stop brake bind. Brake bind is caused by a failing servo or faullty brake cylinders/calipers.

10. jon bda

jon bda Guest

:confused:
    New shoes, clean and adjust will do the trick, make sure they check for seized cables as well...
    :)

11. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

he would have to do a brake check so would have to be in the car ;) but should have cleaned it off afterwards.

complain to his manager mate, he sounds either dodgy or too stupid to be doing that job! and tell him you'll charge them for the valet fee at your local washers next time they leave it a mess again.

i used to leave a note in my fag tray when giving my car to 'dodgy' garages saying "better luck next time", it has always moved when i checked later,
    i also get my most dodgy cds and put them in the car to see if they get rifled. I always do a full inspection of my car when picking it up from any unknowns also in the forecourt to make sure they know i'm not an easy mark.

another good one is to take a photo of your milage with your phone just before you hand the keys over, as they shouldn't put more than a few miles on doing any sort of road worthy test. any more than 2 miles then they've taken it out for a razz.

12. CharleyRogan

If he took mine out for a razz, he'd get it crushed as there no MOT or tax on it!! And I might actually kill him! Its in the garage now, and waiting for it back. Wanna go sleep......... cos been up all night!

Anyone any idea what could cause brake binding? Its not the handbrake, and we don't think its the drums and shoes.... the only thing we can think of are the bearings? or a bent axle...which I hope its not!

13. Mr Gizmo

Mr Gizmo Body of a Buddah.

What car is it Charly ?.

14. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

they might have trade plates to drive cars about with for tests.

more likely a cv joint rather than axle. or as someone else said master braking cylinder, worn lines, ecu management problem..
    wait and see if it is the brake shoes etc. if not take it to a DIFFERENT garage to get a check up, they SHOULD spot the problem easily ;)

15. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

If your brakes are binding the problem more than likely lies in the hydraulic system itself. Unfortunately there's a whole list of componentry to examine.
    It's a process of deduction. 1. Chock your front wheels put you car in gear release the handbrake and jack your car up one side at a time. Spin the wheel. It should turn if it doesn't check the opposite side and if it does then brake cylinder might have seized on the offending wheel. let us know.

16. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

Great advice mate :thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice