Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Meal frequency - too frequently a bad thing?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by MrG, Aug 22, 2013.

1. MrG

MrG PetForums Member

As a dog goes from being a puppy to an adult manufacturers say to reduce meal frequency but increase size to compensate. My 7.5 month retriever has always been a glutton, eating his meals as fast as possible and I suspect that played a role in the hiccups he used to get and possibly his very loose stools. These issues have largely gone away now we've changed to James Wellbeloved food. We have kept his meals distributed throught the day e.g. 1/2 cup first thing, 1 cup after walk1, another after walk2 and one more in the evening, plus the odd tidbit.

Being mindful of the link below (tells you how a dog's stomach is designed to work and is nothing like our own) is there *in people's practical experience* anything wrong with spreading meals out a bit more?

The Dog's Digestive System

2. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy PetForums VIP

I`m not quite sure why you included the link... unless you are the shop owner :D.
    The dog will indicate when you are feeding too often by leaving food or being uninterested. It`s not something you can lay down rules for because each dog is different.
    You say `cup` - but don`t say what you are feeding. I assume it`s kibble - and quality is very variable in different types so read the package and check exactly what you are feeding.
    I feed youngsters morning, midday and evening. Any uneaten food is removed after 30 mins. When they become uninterested in the lunchtime meal I cut it out and increase the size of the other 2. It is the overall amount you need to check (see guide on package and adjust if your dog is under or overweight).

#2 ClaireandDaisy, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  3. MrG

MrG PetForums Member

I thought the bit under 'The canine stomach - and how it digests food' was quite well written. Absolutely not a petshop owner myself and no vested interest.

FWIW - its James Wellbeloved junior kibble lamb and rice. The fact that he might leave food is not a good guide as he's a glutton and has never left or refused any food even that laced with mustard/chilli lade as a 'trap' to stop him jumping up against the kitchen surfaces to see if he can pilfer anything. (we only sovled this by not leaving *anything* out).

#3 MrG, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice