Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Me again!

Discussion in 'Lizards' started by Jingle Bells, May 29, 2010.

1. Jingle Bells

Jingle Bells PetForums Junior

Hi,

I am currently setting up the Viv and switching the lights on tomorrow to get the temps correct before he/she comes home.

I have a few questions....

1) Could someone recommend a good website for live food?
    2) Before I purchase a "Habistat Pulse Themometer" For the ceramic Bulb...is this a good one etc? and does the ceramic live on the cool side of the Viv?
    3) Could you also tell me where abouts the sensor sits to read the basking temp? Just now I have set up on the back wall....?

The house is fine temp wise when it is warm outside but it can get very cold up here....

Many thanks for your help and any advice that you all might to want share! and yes I have done my research but for this I do want clarification on.

Jingle Bells.

#1 Jingle Bells, May 29, 2010
    Last edited: May 29, 2010
  2. Jingle Bells

Can anybody offer some advice?

Thanks,

Jingle bells.

3. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

#3 RockRomantic, May 30, 2010
    Last edited: May 30, 2010
  4. Jingle Bells

Thanks very much for the info...off to have a look ;o)

Jingle Bells.

5. MissG

MissG PetForums VIP

I have tried almost every live food website along the way - but now I only use Livefood UK Crickets Locusts Mealworms Reptile vivarium supplies mail order. Simply because 99% of the time it's next day delivery. The customer service is really good.

I have never used a ceramic bulb before, I find them a waste of money. As long as it's a reflector, I use ordinary 100w household bulbs.
    But yes, habistats thermostats are the best.
    The ceramic will be your heat, so that will be the hot end of the viv.
    I tape my sensor to the back wall of the viv, where the bulb is, about half way between where he will be sat and the top of the viv.

Have you put all the lights on yet?

6. Jingle Bells

Hi,

Thanks for the live food info and the lighting/sensor also. I have placed the sensor about a third of the way down the viv (Hot end) and the readings were all over the place. The Bulb (100 watt R80 spot) I had in is far to much and the cool end was to warm also.

So off to B&Q tomorrow to get a 60 watt.

Can I just place the sensor under the basking area to get a correct temp for there as well as having one in the middle?

I have a piece of thick slate under the basking spot and it was rather hot....will this be ok or shall I remove it?

I do feel quite confident about everything else regarding my Beardie but it's getting the temp thing right that flusters me. I just want to get it right uhhhhhhh :confused:

Many thanks for your help :thumbup:

Jingle Bells.

7. MissG

MissG PetForums VIP

First of all, what temps are you working off and how big is your viv?

I personally couldn't get it hot enough under the basking spot with a 60 w bulb and if you have it on a dimming stat, you should be able to get the right temp, in a 4ftx2ft viv - maybe you have something smaller.

So what are you using the ceramic for?

It is feels more than warm to the touch, move it elsewhere, don't remove it all together as slate is good for them to climb on, keeps their claws trim.

8. Jingle Bells

Hi,

The Habistat Pulse and ceramic will be used for night time temps when it gets a little colder up here...not for just now.

I have a 4x2x2 viv and the temps last night were (100 watt R80)
    Directly under Basking spot = 52c
    Ambient = 36c
    Cool end = 26c.

I have now swapped it for the 60 (R63) watt bulb.

The temps are now,

Directly underneath Basking light =40.7
    Ambient = 29.7
    Cool end = 24.6

Is this ok? Once again thanks for the invaluble advice/help.

Jingle Bells.

9. MissG

MissG PetForums VIP

Those temps then with your 60w are perfect - The 100w ones are too high. Just of course keep an eye on them, maybe in the winter time you may need to switch to the 100w?
    Are you using a wooden vivarium? These tend to help maintain temps better.

So how is it all going? Do you have your beardie yet?

10. Jingle Bells

Hi Miss G,

I have been running the lights in and they are running to form, and the slate is a lot cooler now.
    I do agree with you about Winter time. The Temps here drop below 0c quite often...hence the pulse thermo for then. I want to be prepared...and I am sure that it will be used. I also use the Ceramics for the torts when it's brrrrrrr here(night time).
    I find I have to alter the torts temps quite a bit when it is freezing so will be quite prepared for Beardie.

I have a wooden Viv didn't fancy the glass as I was unsure about how the temps would hold and I didn't think glass would keep a regular heat!!! Just a guess could be totally wrong!

No I do not have my Beardie yet uhhhh not til this Sunday. I asked the person to hold he/she for an extra week as I wanted to get the temps sorted before I went down the road to get it.

I am really looking forward to getting him/her (age 6-8 months, Rescue)... Keep looking at an empty viv hahahaha :crazy:

Off into town tomorrow to get crickets and set up their tank. Just one more question about these evil things....I have read that they need to be fed what Beardie is getting (gut loading)...but what about fluid? is that gained soley from the veg or does that come in water form?

Many thanks for all your help ;o)

Jingle Bells.

#10 Jingle Bells, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  11. MissG

MissG PetForums VIP

Yeah gut load them with spring greens, as it's high in calcium. I also give them cucumber as this gives them some moisture. Some people use some gel type stuff which they can drink off, but I only feed locusts and being desert insects, they water they need they get from veg.

Aaaaw which rescue are you getting him from?

12. Jingle Bells

Hi,

Thanks for the info regarding source of liquid. I will use cucumber also.

There is a woman that lives in Dundee that rescues lizards of various breeds. I got in contact with her and she just so happens to have have two that are ready for Rehoming. So I said I would take just the one.

Really looking forward to getting him/her, it's been such a long two weeks. It will be a nice addition to my Pet family.

Many thanks for your help/advice.

Jingle Bells.

13. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

thats excellent congrats on new addition :thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice