Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

McKenzie's not well - advice please

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by McKenzie, Apr 21, 2011.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

:confused:Hi everyone,

Kenzie has been throwing up since mid-afternoon, a kind of foamy green vomit. She's also had a bit of diarrhoea. The vet is now closed until Saturday, but I could get her an emergency appointment. She still seems fairly happy in herself.

Any idea what is causing this? Do you think I can keep an eye on her and hope it resolves herself? I'm guessing I should skip her dinner. When is the point that she needs to see a vet?

Thanks. She's never been sick like this before :(

ETA: I think she might have eaten something - in her latest big vomit there were all these black specks

#1 McKenzie, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  2. molly moo

molly moo PetForums Member

has she been eatting grass , molly usually eats grass when she needs to be sick , you know your girl the best to decided if she needs to go to the vets. i feed molly rice and chicken when she has sickness and is loose and make sure she has plenty of water. it could be the weather as it is really warm and can make some dogs poorly .

#2 molly moo, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  3. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

If she is ok in herself then just starve her tonight and stick to something bland like chicken tomorrow.;)
    TBH I would only worry if I thought they had gotten something dangerous, looked really ill or carried on having diarrheoa and vomting the next day.

4. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

Aww hope hes ok :(
    The green foam made me think grass too :)

5. bobbyw

bobbyw PetForums Senior

Is she still drinking? If not then she may get quite dehydrated with the heat and dehydration can be very dangerous. Does the vet have any kind of line to ask what they think or is it just an emergency appt?

6. Balto-x

Balto-x PetForums VIP

We had a phase like this with balto and all we could do was keep holding his bowl in his face to drink water and just try to get him to keep blooming still! Xxx

7. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Thanks, she's still drinking and seems perky. She hasn't thrown up for about 30 minutes so maybe the worst has passed. I did ring the vet - they said 'it's up to you' - really helpful :rolleyes::

I haven't seen her eat anything bad, but the flecks in the vomit makes me think she did. There's been a little bit of grass come up but not much. I did give her Billy No Mates for the first time last night, but since she didn't start throwing up until this afternoon I'm thinking it probably wouldn't be that.

8. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

If she is drinking thats agood sign its sound to me too that shes been eating grass mine does it and effects them too but not the runs her tummy might need a little help to settle if she also has or had the runs so boil some rice,drain it, cool the water and give it her to drink it great for settling their stomachs.

9. Raini

Raini PetForums Member

Hope McKenzie feels better soon! Harvey went through a phase of sickness last summer, didn't really find a reason for it and always seemed OK in himself. After several visits to the vet I panicked less and starved him for about 12 hours after sickness and gave him small but often portions of plain chicken & rice.
    You know your dog best and I'm sure you'll know if it gets more serious. If she starts to not seem herself then take her to the vets. Also, if you think she isn't drinking enough a small ish syringe with water in works wonders with Harvey & ice.

*hugs*

10. rona

rona Guest

How's Kenzie now?

11. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Well she hasn't thrown up for a few hours now so I think she's on the mend :)

I haven't got any chicken to give her tomorrow morning - what about scrambled eggs?

12. rona

rona Guest

Scrambled egg will be good :)
    Glad she's better

13. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

Hope Kenzie is okay :)

14. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I'm hoping she is better as well.
    Tummy upsets are generally minor but it doesnt stop us worrying and watching them like a hawk just in case:D
    Did you start the Billy no mates on full dose or just a small amount?

15. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Well she seems fine this morning - hasn't thrown up since about 6pm last night and is happy as larry :) Just about to make her some scrambled eggs.

She's never thrown up before so I was stressing - my head was telling me it was probably just a minor thing but I hated seeing my baby like that :(

I started the billy no mates on a full dose (.5ml). Should I have started gradually?

16. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

Pleased Kenzies doing better this morning:)

17. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

I wouldn't have thought it's the BNM. Poppy started hers about the same time as McKenzie, as did our cat. They both weigh exactly the same at 5.2kg and started on the full correct dose and neither had any reaction. I think if there had been cases of it affecting dogs then the instructions would say to start off low and increase gradually.

Glad to hear she's OK now. IIRC you said she was in season???? Poppy had a couple of weeks straight after her season when she had soft poos and was sick a couple of times. The only other time she's been sick is when she ate some rabbit poo.

18. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Glad she seems a lot better today and is on the mend.

19. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Good to hear she is on the mend:D

I asked about the BNM because I'm sure I remember reading they recommend starting with a tiny bit and building up to full dose. It may not have been that but she could be a bit more sensitive to some of the ingredients in it.

Sympathise with the worry and stress you went thro, I do it everytime with Heidi and altho we've been there a few times now, I'm still the same.:(

20. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Kenzie Kenzie,
    I'm glad your better,
    Your mum's like mine; she's SUCH a fretter,
    Don't be sick and don't feel blue
    and ALWAYS remember,
    Bumble loves you

:001_wub:

xxxxxxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice