Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

McKenzie's first season - a question

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by McKenzie, Mar 31, 2011.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Hi everyone,

When I took McKenzie to the vet last Saturday (for a UTI) the vet said it looked as if she was coming into season as there was apparently some mucus.

When can I expect she will actually be in season? I've seen no blood yet, and I think there's maybe a bit of swelling but I don't know how much to expect.

I'm worried I'm going to miss it, and then not be able to count the 4 months to get her spayed!

2. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

You wont miss it, promise! We only had spots of blood with Poppy, almost all of them on her bedding so I was washing it every day, but you will see a very definite swelling. IIRC Poppy was swollen for a few days before there was any spotting.

We were told spaying could take place 3 months from the date of the start of her season or 2 months from the date of the end. Poppy's season lasted 18 days so whichever way it was worked out there wasn't much difference.

3. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Just try to spot any kind of bleeding from down there. When we see Holly swelling, we will wipe her a couple times a day to see if we can find any blood.

We keep Holly in for about 24 days from the first day of bleeding. She is getting spayed in June.

4. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Ooo good idea about wiping, thanks. I'm keeping her on a long line and not taking her to the park at the moment, just to be safe. :)

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

You should be able to notice the swelling, and some spots here and there,
    but if not just get a piece of white kitchen roll or tissue and lightly dab the area a couple of times a day, you should be able to see something that way.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice