Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Maybe for my gerbils

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Jamesy14, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Jamesy14

Jamesy14 PetForums Member

2. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

i WOULDNT HOUSE MORE THAN 2 I FEEL IT MAY BE A BIT OF A SQUASH. ITS QUITE GOOD THOUGH AT LEAST THEY CANT THROW THE SUBSRATE OUT. OURS USED TO LIKE TOP SOIL WE WOULD GET IT FROM BANDQ AS ITS BEEN TREATED AND NO GERMS . THEY USE TO HAVE FUN IN IT ALONG WITH CARPET ROLLS CUT UP. MINE USE TO LIKE HAY AS WELL THEY WOULD SHREAD IT IN TO TINY PIECES AND MAKE A NEST IT KEPT THEM BUSY.GOOD ALSO AS THEY CANT BURY THERE FOOD DISHES SO EASILY.

3. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I know a couple of very experienced gerbil owners/breeders on this forum who hate this cage, I just can't remember why (going senile already:D). Hopefully they will reply to this and tell you why.

4. Jamesy14

Oh i thought it would be okay because i would like a tank but a caged enclosure seems cool to to pick up the gerbils and i thought that this would be the best of both worlds. I hope they do reply as i am keen to see whats wrong with them.

5. thedogsmother

I think it had something to do with the barred shelves being bad for their feet but I will try to find the original thread for you.

6. Jamesy14

Okay thanks, Do you think a rat or ferret cage would be good as i cant find any designated gerbils cages bar this one. I only ever seem to find hamster ones with tiny living space and all tubes, which i dont like that much.

7. cherrie_pie1589

cherrie_pie1589 PetForums Newbie

Just normal plain fish tanks are great to keep gerbils in, you can make a wood and wire lid to fit on top so they are secure but the tank is still ventilated.

Or there is a company called perfecto that makes tanks with glass shelves in, i keep my gerbils in one of these and they fantastic, you can pick them up on ebay quite cheaply if you're lucky! :)

8. cherrie_pie1589

cherrie_pie1589 PetForums Newbie

Heres a pic i just found of my perfecto tank

Attached Files:

9. thedogsmother

10. Jamesy14

i never thought of them breaking their legs, thank you i certainly wont be buying that, ill have a look at the perfecto ones now thanks guys

11. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

I'm one of the ones that hates the gerbilarium. I have had 3 or 4 gerbils break their legs on the bars. Plus, gerbils chew the bars which can ruin their teeth and cause discolouration of the fur around the mouth.

All of my gerbils are in tanks. You can buy regular glass fish tanks from pets at home which are way cheaper than the gerbilarium.

Plus those gerbilariums are far too small in my opinion. Their only big enough to house 1 gerbil despite what the box says. You would need roughly a 20 gallon tank to house 2-3 gerbils :)

12. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

ive got the gerbilarium had 2 for males and females, i had 3 females in 1 and 2 males in the other, there seemed to be enough room in there they loved it i had a silent spinner on one level of the metal and the food bowls and water on the top, with alot of sawdust in the tank with toys and tunnels and places to hide would recommend it, although like some people say the tanks are quite good i just liked where they could get onto diff levels, id never heard of the broken legs:( mine didnt have any injuries but maybe get a tank to make sure this doesnt happen.

just when u buy the gerbils make sure they are all one sex i started with two was told they were both female whhich they wernt and had babies luckily not too many and i was able to keep them and seperated them.

13. Jamesy14

you think this would be any good, and what size would you recommend?

Perfecto Habitat

14. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

I have a few of those tanks and their great :thumbup:

I bought all mine second hand though because they are a touch expensive :) Theres always some going on ebay. As for size i'm not totally sure. I always go for gallons not the actual width/lenght etc.

15. Jamesy14

Spose biggest is best which is £69.99 and i have £250 - 300 to spend on everything including the little guys them selfs and toys etc etc

16. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

Well, if you have that much to spend, i would buy the biggest :)

17. Jamesy14

ive just realised that its collection only and it doesent say where to collect it from , if its local i would buy one if its not then i dont know any other websites selling them

18. Jamesy14

19. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I think tanks are best too. I had an enormous tank for mine. Got it cheap from someone who kept fish when it sprung a leak!!
    Used to fill it over half full with a mix of potting compost and sawdust. The little suckers used to spend hours excavating and it was fun to watch them run around their homemade tunnel system.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice